Harvard Business School seeks a highly motivated individual to serve as a Research Associate during the 2020-2021 academic year and further, sharing time between HBS’ Impact Investing and Private Capital Projects. The Research Associate will work in the areas of private equity, impact investing, social impact, entrepreneurial finance, and conscious capital to support these research agendas.
The Research Associate (RA) position reports directly to faculty, team supervisors, and administrative manager in the Research Staff Services office. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong conceptual ability; high quality of mind; strong communication skills; the ability to work productively under time pressure; the capacity to work well independently; and the ability to interact successfully with senior leaders. The position will involve working with academic-quality research, various statistical software packages, collecting and assembling data from disparate sources, and creating databases.
Primary duties include:
- Under the general direction of the faculty, the RA will take complex research ideas, concepts, and methodologies and apply them to the research agenda;
- Collect, manage, and manipulate complex datasets using a variety of tools and sources, including but not limited to Stata, R, or Python;
- Develop, design, conduct, analyze, and implement research;
- Structure assignments, manage near- and long-term priorities and keep supervisors and team members informed as necessary, using own judgment;
- Provide analysis, editing and drafts for internal and external deliverables;
- Exercise independent decision making with regard to progression of research project and methodologies. When confronted with unexpected data, be able to make deductions, add insight, and draw conclusions to share with advisors;
- Collaborate with other members of the research team to advance progress and develop new insights and/or techniques;
- Ensure compliance with department, University and federal regulations. Complete work with only general direction. Be aware of department, School, University policies and potential outside research policies.
Bachelor’s degree and relevant research or work experience required. Strong working knowledge of Stata is a must as well as indication of training and good habits in data management and analysis. Evidence of academic excellence and of independent research experience. Strong skills related to the Microsoft Office Suite are expected.
Economics, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Computer Science, or related degree is preferred. Familiarity and/or experience in private equity, social impact or related is desirable. Knowledge of additional statistical software packages or programming languages is a plus.
The candidate must be analytically-minded and possess strong conceptual skills; have extremely high standards in terms of quality of work, attention to detail, strong organizational, and communication skills.
Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to flexibly adapt to changes in priorities; ability to work calmly under deadline pressure, work both independently and as a team member, take initiative; and follow projects through to completion. Diplomatic skills, comfort in interacting with prominent individuals, and grace under pressure are essential.
We ask that applicants do not reach out to faculty directly.
This is a full-time term appointment starting this fall (as soon as possible) through June 30, 2021, with potential for re-appointment for the next academic year (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022). All HBS RA roles are structured as one year term appointments with potential for renewal.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, a cover letter and resume are required for full consideration. Upon the review of application materials, applicants may be asked to submit a code sample, writing sample, and transcript(s).
Harvard Business School does not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. Explore HBS Work Culture.