SUMMARY: Working within the Harvard University Press Acquisitions Department, the Editorial Assistant (EA) provides administrative support to two Acquisitions Editors as they acquire and develop manuscripts. The EA supports all phases of the editorial process, including peer review; manuscript/artwork; preparation of fact sheets and design briefs; database management.
– Assists Acquiring Editor in preparing manuscript considerations packets for the Acquisitions Planner workflow.
– Assists Acquisitions Editor and Editorial Director prepare for the monthly Syndics Meeting, Editorial Meeting, and Publishing Meeting, and the semi-annual Marketing Launch Meetings.
– May prepare Contract Request Forms.
– Assists Acquiring Editor with the entire peer-review process.
– Assists in Acquiring Editor preparing fact sheets, design briefs, and soliciting author questionnaires.
– May solicit advance endorsements for books. Coordinates with Acquiring Editor to finalize back ads order and other metadata, as needed.
– May proofread front matter, descriptive copy, and jacket mechanicals.
– Coordinates and monitors deadlines: collaborates with authors, translators, mapmakers, and illustrators to ensure that final manuscripts and artwork meet HUP’s requirements; provides Editorial Director, Acquisition Editors, and other relevant colleagues in the Press with updates on project progress, expected dates, and manuscript elements.
– Analyzes design elements and technical problems in manuscripts; works with authors, Acquisitions Editors, and relevant Press staff to eliminate problems to keep books on schedule.
– In collaboration with the Acquiring Editor, prepares the manuscript for timely and complete transmittal to the copy editorial department (using HUP’s “turnover” memo) in accordance with internal guidelines.
– Drafts correspondence for Acquisitions Editor as needed.
– Maintains book files; scans and saves material to servers; uses Biblio Publishing Management System and Digital Asset Management system to track seasonal lists.
– May assist with travel arrangements and processes travel expenses for Acquisitions Editors.
– May travel to scholarly conferences to assist Acquisitions Editor.
– Performs clerical duties, including processing departmental forms, mailing, photocopying, faxing, paying bills, as needed.
– Assists members of the Acquisitions Department as needed in support of the department goals as determined by manager and supervisor.