About I AM ALS
I AM ALS is a patient-centric movement revolutionizing how to fight disease. The non-profit brings together ALS patients, advocates, organizations and scientists to deliver critical and innovative resources for patients, empower and mobilize patients and their networks to lead the fight for cures and transform the public understanding of ALS with a goal of delivering new, lifesaving drugs. Founded in 2019 by husband and wife team Brian Wallach (Yale College 2003) and Sandra Abrevaya, I AM ALS was born out of their desire to rewrite the ALS story for Brian and the tens of thousands of other ALS patients.
This job offers an early-career professional the opportunity to gain experience in many aspects of growing a young nonprofit and building an engaged community of advocates. While working toward the mission of supporting those who are impacted by ALS and leading a revolution to find cures, the Operations and Communications Associate will engage directly with the patient-led community and help shape the organization’s digital messaging. They also will support the internal operations and related functions to help ensure the sustainability of the organization.
The ideal candidate is detail oriented and able to balance and shift between a diverse portfolio of work. You should be driven by making a difference in the lives of others and being a part of a team of revolutionaries. You should have an interest in digital marketing and communications and the internal operations of nonprofit organizations. You must be a team player, willing to be independent and creative and do what it takes to get the job done well. You should be looking for an opportunity to gain broad execution experience and grow into taking on greater job responsibilities.
The Operations and Communications Associate will be responsible for supporting day-to-day internal operations and related functions and executing the digital communications strategy. Their time will be divided almost evenly between these two sets of responsibilities, but will fluctuate on any given day or week, depending on the project priorities. As a small growing nonprofit, additional responsibilities will likely arise over time and may be assigned to this role depending on capabilities demonstrated.
Job duties of the Operations and Communications Associate role include the following:
- Support COO in day-to-day internal operations and related functions including establishing systems and structures for efficiency and sustainability of the organization and ensuring team members have the tools and resources they need to do their best work
- Support CEO and other team members, as needed, in administrative needs such as scheduling, travel booking and other logistics
- Support tracking donations and fundraising efforts and analyzing progress
- Support management of financial processes
- Draft monthly reports analyzing digital engagement on website and social media
- Manage aspects of website updates and interactions with the community via digital media
- Monitor social media channels, respond to community posts and make recommendations for postings and amplifications
- Support projects to cultivate and engage donors
- Other duties as determined by the emerging needs of the organization
The ideal candidate will possess some combination of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, major in communications or marketing preferred
- 2-5 years of full-time work experience, non-profit, advocacy or campaigns preferred
- Strong written communication skills
- Experience using the following tools/platforms preferred:
- Google Analytics
- Email marketing platforms, like MailChimp
- CRM like EveryAction, SalesForce, Hubspot, etc.
- Demonstrated strength in the following areas:
- Collaborative teammate, willingness to contribute flexibility and creativity in a startup environment
- Ability to work independently and productively in a sometimes virtual work environment
- Problem solver, able to find creative solutions when challenges arise
- Willingness to give and receive feedback, open to individual growth
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and navigating changes and ambiguity
This position is based in Washington, DC and will be virtual until it is safe to resume in-person work post pandemic
Travel up to 10% for meetings and events
Salary and Benefits
Position is full time/exempt with competitive salary and benefits package including health insurance offering
Salary range for this role is $40,000 – $50,000 depending on the candidate’s level of experience
If you believe you can deliver on these responsibilities, we encourage you to apply. To apply, please submit your resume and one-page cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Operations and Communications Associate” in the subject line.