This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM SWG is looking for an experienced software engineer to join the Big Data and Open Source DB North America Support team. As part of this team, you will have opportunity to work on supporting our customers that are deploying Big Data technologies (Cloudera Data Platforms, Big SQL) and revolutionary Open Source DB offerings (Postgres, MongoDB, and Apache Casandra etc.).
Your responsibilities will include:
- Understanding, narrowing and defining the scope of clients concerns in terms of stating the problem and understanding its scope.
- Managing client expectations and understanding the nature of the issue in terms of technical impact and pervasiveness.
- Utilizing technical and negotiation skills and collaborate with partner engineering teams (Cloudera, EDB, MongoDB, DataStax etc.) to prioritize and diagnose problems to resolution using problem determination/problem analysis skills.
- Communicating updates and action plans to customer or IBM representative via the support portal, phone and email as per response guidelines.
- Contributes to department attainment of organizational objectives and high customer satisfaction.
- Recognize and minimize client impact by using timely and appropriate escalation processes to engage Partner Engineering Support organization.
- Sharing knowledge and expertise with the team and also the clients, such as writing technotes, blogging in social media, etc.
- Ensuring that an adequate amount of process is followed. If applicable, recommends and implements new or improvements to existing technical support tools, procedures, and processes
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 3+ years of relevant experience as technical customer support, supporting large scale RDBMS or Data Warehousing environments.
- 2+ years of experience with Linux (development/support/administration)
- Strong understanding of RDBMS and good understanding of challenges in building Data Warehousing for a Big Data applications.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Strong active listening skills and excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work a shifted work week at least once a month to provide support on weekends and some public holidays as the hub is one of 3 worldwide support hubs that provide 24×7 support 365 days a year.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- A professional certification on Big Data (Cloudera) and Open Source DB (Postgres, Mongo and Apache Casandra) management
About Business Unit
IBMâ€™s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBMâ€™s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environmentsâ€”with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities. Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change â€“ to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone. It’s time to define your career.
IBMâ€™s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, weâ€™re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now itâ€™s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to: Â·12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19. Â·World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals. Â·Well-being programs to support mental and physical health. Â·Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.). Â·Select educational reimbursement opportunities. Â·Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe. Â·Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities. Â·Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.