This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
As a Strategy Consultant at IBM, you will help reinvent businesses and industries by developing and utilizing specialized knowledge of industry-specific and cross-industry competitive strategies. You’ll manage complex components of an engagement, working closely with clients and their customers to understand their pain points. Your strategic recommendations will drive change in a digitally-enabled era and give you the opportunity to collaborate with highly talented IBMers. Are you ready?
Your Role and Responsibilities
The CORPORATE STRATEGY CONSULTANT will be responsible for analyzing current business processes and methodologies to determine areas of improvement and working to implement policies to enhance the performance of IBM. Tasks and Responsibilities include:
- Shape IBM C-Suite decisions with small-team project engagements to architect company-wide strategic direction
- Engage with Business Unit leaders to determine root causes to be evaluated, hypotheses to be tested, and business outcomes to be achieved
- Establish trusted relationships with internal client teams and interface with stakeholders across Business Units to gather information, gain diverse perspectives, and deepen subject matter expertise
- Develop fact-based client, market, and competitor insights based on research conducted across a variety of sources, e.g. primary interviews, analyst reports, and internal databases
- Leverage first- and second-order insights as well as apply technical and operational expertise to identify issues, challenge the status quo, and develop creative recommendations
- Synthesize insights and recommendations into client presentations to clearly communicate findings to Business Unit leaders
- Collaborate with Business Unit client teams to implement and, in select circumstances, to manage pragmatic, bold, and actionable solutions
What We Look For:
Intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness ready to question existing systems, business models, and processes and devise innovative solutions
Diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives eager to cultivate positive working relationships within a tight-knit team and build trusted relationships across all levels of IBM
Passion to understand how emerging technologies can be adopted and applied to solve business and societal challenges
Strong problem-solving capabilities, including the capability to take ambiguous complexities and deliver creative and well-structured solutions
Deep analytical skills and ability to formulate data-driven recommendations
Powerful communication and storytelling skills, successfully utilizing verbal and written communications to expose and defend points of view to business leaders and team members Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Masterâ€™s Degree or Bachelors with at least 5 years of business experience
Able to travel approximately 10% annually
Fluent in the English language
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Masterâ€™s Degree in Business/Management with 2 years of experience in business strategy and problem-solving
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world’s most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities. Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change â€“ to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone. It’s time to define your career.
IBMâ€™s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, weâ€™re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now itâ€™s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.