This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clientsâ€™ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether itâ€™s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position is an internal Staff Data Scientist Intern role with IBM Corporate Development (Mergers & Acquisitions). Office locations for the position are Armonk, NY and NYC, NY. You will work alongside consultants, deal leaders, and data scientists to enhance business performance through analytics and data science focused initiatives. You will help transform data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development.
A typical day in the life of this role will include the following:
- Providing thought leadership and strategic thinking to translate business problems into analytical frameworks
- Operating as a subject matter expert on statistical analysis and machine learning for modeling, writing code, testing, and validating
- Interpreting output and performance of models in business terms, and communicating findings to the team and stakeholders
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand their business needs, formulate and complete end-to-end analysis
Are you passionate about harnessing the power of big data and analytics to address real-world business problems and play a key role in influencing change? If so, we want you to apply.
About Business Unit
The IBM Finance organization is responsible for driving enterprise performance and transformation. Â We are the financial stewards of IBM, delivering IBMâ€™s financial strategy, developing new business models, and mitigating enterprise risk.Â Do you have a passion for creating business value? Join our team in accounting, financial planning, pricing, business controls, tax, treasury, business development (acquisitions & divestitures), and global financing.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities. Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change â€“ to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone. It’s time to define your career.
IBMâ€™s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, weâ€™re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now itâ€™s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Supplemental 1 employees may be eligible for paid holidays, paid sick time and Employee Stock Purchase Plan. IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
 Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- BS or MS in Data Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, or related STEM field
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience and/or coursework with common Python libraries used by data scientists (e.g., NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, Seaborn, etc.)
- Experience and/or coursework in statistics and machine learning
- Experience and/or coursework working with structured and unstructured data
- Experience and/or coursework in deep learning and natural language processing
- Understanding of database technologies, data structures and SQL
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business and technical challenges in an enterprise setting
- Strong presentation and communication skills with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
- Demonstrated ability to share data science and machine learning experiment results with both technical and non-technical people
- Innovative mindset and an ability to take calculated risks
- Demonstrated a strong desire to learn new skills and excitement towards undertaking challenging transformations
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Student pursing PhD in Machine Learning, Statistics, or related STEM field
- Understanding of coding requirements for production applications (e.g., modularity, documentation, quality assurance, testing, logging, etc.)
- Knowledge of big data technologies (e.g., spark, Hadoop, etc.)
- Understanding of code versioning
- Experience in Agile development
- Experience deploying analytical models to solve business problems
- Experience in a project management function
- Ability to own analytical work from inception to completion, preparing project plans, creating and monitoring performance metrics
- Ability to manage key stakeholder expectations and asset delivery
To be eligible for this internship, students must be enrolled at an accredited college or university.