This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
As a Data Scientist at IBM, you will help transform our clientsâ€™ data into tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes and collaborating on product development. Work with Best in Class open source and visual tools, along with the most flexible and scalable deployment options. Whether itâ€™s investigating patient trends or weather patterns, you will work to solve real world problems for the industries transforming how we live.
Your Role and Responsibilities
During your 10-12 week summer internship, youâ€™ll have an exciting opportunity to:
- Join our IBM North America intern community and meet other IBMers during networking events, special team events and career development activities.
- Meet with a mentor to help envision what your future at IBM could look like.
- Participate on a consulting project or initiative and experience first-hand how we help businesses transform and stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Learn how we focus on our clients’ technical and business needs to co-create solutions that add value.
- Work on a high-performing team to collaboratively deliver for clients. Depending on the project, youâ€™ll have the opportunity to develop an understanding of our clientâ€™s future state goals and processes, then define the steps needed and leading technologies to help turn their goals into reality.
- Learn about a clientâ€™s industry, tackle new challenges, and learn about how their business and technology intersect.
At IBM, we prioritize ongoing learning, development of technical and core consulting skills, and investing in your personal growth, all grounded in a culture of coaching and mentorship â€“ youâ€™ll get exposure to all that and more as an intern.
WORK YOU COULD DO AS A DATA SCIENTIST:
Since IBM provides a variety of consulting services to our clients, the specific work and technologies youâ€™ll learn will vary depending on your assigned team. As a Data Scientist intern, you may:
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other data scientists, engineers, consultants and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
- Communicate with clients to understand and define business needs and appropriate modelling techniques to provide analytical solutions.
- Partner to implement and validate predictive and prescriptive models, create and maintain statistical models with a focus on big data.
- Incorporate a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques in your project.
- Assist in writing programs to cleanse and integrate data in an efficient and reusable manner.
- Use leading edge and open-source tools such as Python and R combined with IBM tools and our AI application suites.
- Evaluate modelling results and communicate the results to technical and non-technical audiences.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Track record of academic success.
- Highly motivated with a strong growth mindset â€“ take the initiative to actively seek new knowledge and improve skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about business, product and technical challenges in an enterprise environment.
- Ability to look at things differently, debug, troubleshoot, design and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- Strong technical and analytical abilities, a knack for driving impact and growth, and experience with a programming/scripting in a language such as Java or Python.
- Basic understanding of statistical programming in a language such as R, Python, or SAS, SPSS, MATLAB.
- Basic understanding of Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking and Agile Development Methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work effectively in an intense team environment, while building direct working relationships across IBM and client teams.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative analysis skills and can derive recommendations informed by data and insights.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise Currently in pursuit of BA/BS in following majors:
- Computer Science, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Cognitive Science, Artificial Intelligence, Business Intelligence, Operations Research, Engineering
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world’s economy. IBM Services partners with the world’s leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities. Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change â€“ to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone. It’s time to define your career.
IBMâ€™s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, weâ€™re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now itâ€™s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Supplemental 1 employees may be eligible for paid holidays, paid sick time and Employee Stock Purchase Plan. IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship. We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.