Summer Associate Opportunity
The Los Angeles Independent Juvenile Defender Program is accepting applications for the Summer Associate position for Summer 2021.
Summer associates are introduced to three distinct areas of the juvenile justice system: policy making, appellate advocacy and trial advocacy. Our summer associates assist in public policy venues, work on active appellate briefs and assist trial attorneys in the juvenile courts. In addition, summer associates will participate in case reviews with our investigator and assist our forensic social worker.
Over the course of a typical summer, summer associates will:
· research and draft appellate and trial briefs
· attend hearings and juvenile justice stakeholder meetings
· assist program coordinators, social workers and investigators
· attorney courtroom observations*
Ideal candidates will be rising first and second year law school students with a demonstrated interest in criminal and/or juvenile defense, strong research and writing skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Upon the distribution of this announcement, the IJDP Summer Associate 2021 position will be implemented remotely until further notice.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume and writing sample to SHawthorne@lacba.org.
Submission deadline is January 8, 2021