This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
iRobot is seeking a bright and energetic student to join their Optical Science and Engineering Team. As an iRobot intern, you will work both independently and with other interns to directly support the engineering staff setting up precision optical equipment, data collection, and design of laboratory fixtures.
The ideal candidate would be matriculated in a Applied Physics or Engineering Optics, or Electrical Engineering focused on Optical design & metrology. This is a 2021 Summer Internship position.
- Test and evaluate optical components used in consumer robotic applications
- Disassemble and assemble robots for optical testing
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) support for optical experimental test fixture design
- Optical data collection and data analysis of robotic components
- Written and verbal reports of data collection, analysis, fixture design, and equipment setup and usage guidelines
- Enrolled in collegiate level Physics, Material Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Optics analysis, design, or research
- Familiar with optical laboratory equipment and operation
- Familiar with computational data analysis and numerical methods (MATLAB, Mathematica, MiniTAB, Excel VBA)
- Demonstrated communication skills (written, verbal, and in presentation)
- Responsible attitude
- Organized and motivated work ethic
- On-site responsibilities (3-5 days/week) – optical laboratory and office environment
- Driven, relaxed, and rewarding team environment
- Modern office, with cafeteria, gym, and free electric car charging.
- State-of-the-art on-site rapid prototyping, machine shop and test lab capabilities.