This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Position Title: Development Fellow
Reports To: Development Assistant
Duration: November of 2021 to January of 2022
Location: Washington DC
Hours per week: 30-40
J Street is seeking a fellow for its Development department in our Washington, DC
headquarters. This is an ideal position for applicants who want to gain knowledge about the non-profit and political fundraising world in a fast-paced and highly-engaged advocacy
organization. The J Street Development department raises the operational budget of J Street and the J Street Education Fund ($8 million per year) as well as the political campaign contributions to congressional candidates through JStreetPAC (over $3.6 million in the 2016 election cycle). Working with the Development team allows fellows to touch on every aspect of J Street’s work from the communal to the political while learning valuable, transferable skills in research, database management, and donor relations. **Please note: this position will require you to come to the office in person. J Street has strict Covid19 protocols in place to ensure the safety of all of its employees. J Street requires proof of vaccination for this position.
Responsibilities can include:
- Assist the Development Assistant with database administration and data entry
- Researching prospective donors
- Helping the Development Assistant with small-dollar fundraising strategy
- Assisting with donor relations via email and over the phone
- Providing assistance with other tasks as needed
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Undergraduate or recent graduate standing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An ability to work independently and stay well organized
- Commitment to J Street’s mission
- An ability to multi-task and be detail-oriented
- Database experience is preferred but not required
- Experience doing prospect research is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of Jewish communal politics is preferring but not required
- Knowledge of the politics of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the region is preferred but not required
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 7 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv. The New York office is the largest regional office (outside of DC), housing both regional and national staff.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.