JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY
The Johns Hopkins University, one of the world’s premier teaching, research and patient care institutions, is seeking candidates for the position of Investment Analyst within its Investment Office, reporting directly to the Managing Director of Investments. The Investment Office has responsibility for investing the endowments for the university, Johns Hopkins Hospital, and other related endowed entities totaling more than $7 billion, among many other assets. This position will expose the candidate to institutional money management at a premier endowment, shaping his or her knowledge in all major asset classes.
Johns Hopkins University was founded in 1876 and is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions with nearly 22,000 students across nine academic divisions. The university attracts the finest undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, post-doctoral and professional degree students and more federal research and development funding than any other university in the United States.
Note: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
The Investment Analyst will be an integral member of the Investment Office, taking on key responsibilities that span the endowment and related portfolios. The position will play an important role in conducting due diligence on new and existing investment managers across public and private equity and credit, as well as other asset classes and investment opportunities. Over time, the Investment Analyst will develop more specialization and assume greater investment responsibilities. This is a three-year position, which may be renewable at the end of the term. Promotion from this role is possible, with the potential for unlimited career growth.
The ideal candidate will:
- Work closely with the Managing Director of Investments and other senior investment team members in managing overall portfolio allocation and risk, with responsibilities around manager allocations across asset classes
- Conduct due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers by (a) evaluating the team and its strategy, (b) analyzing its portfolio holdings and performance, (c) visiting with managers and portfolio companies across multiple industries and geographies, (d) conducting reference calls, and (e) debating investment-related merits and risks with colleagues
- Research broad investment and industry trends, and opportunistic investment projects as required
- Organize and write detailed investment recommendation summaries
- Take an active role in all investment team discussions and decision-making processes
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree with a record of outstanding academic achievement and 0-4 years of related work experience is required
- Master’s degree is preferred
The successful candidate will have a record of strong academic achievement, and demonstrable success in prior work experience (as relevant). The candidate will possess a passion toward conducting detailed research, demonstrate a desire to learn, and have the highest standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity. Attention to detail is another important quality.
Personal fit within a dynamic team is essential.
For our team, we generally seek and evaluate on the following Values, Abilities and Skills:
- Proactive with sense of urgency
- Intellectually curious, relentless lifelong learner
- Team-oriented, accountable, supportive, conscientious
- Self-aware, confident, non-defensive, willing to take risks
- Honest and direct, transparent, ethical, mission-driven
- Logical decision-making process incorporating analysis and judgment
- Creative and intuitive thinking
- Willingness to change one’s mind quickly, absorb new information up steep learning curve
- Persistent drive toward conclusions, decisions, and results
- Concise and impactful communication – oral, written, and presentation
- Analytical rigor through deep primary research and by organizing complex findings
- Rapid development, and testing, of hypotheses with “quick and dirty” analyses
- Pursuit of deeper knowledge, relationships and access to conflicting information
- Collaborates with others on and outside team to gather information, find answers
- Comfort thinking and acting contrary to the herd without concern for looking foolish
- Strong professional and/or relationship networks
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
COMPENSATION AND OPPORTUNITY: Competitive compensation and benefits
Classified Title: Investment Analyst
Working Title: Investment Analyst
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Schedule: M-F; 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Location: 45-MD:JH at Keswick
Department name: 10001517-Investment Management Off of
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
JH at Keswick