Please apply on our website that is linked below. Applications will not be considered unless they are submitted on our website.
Malk Partners is a fast-growing consulting firm that advises many of the world’s most successful investors on risk management and responsible investment. Malk assists middle-market private equity firms in establishing best-in-class environmental, social, and governance (ESG) programs that are deployed throughout the investment lifecycle in order to mitigate risk and create value. We partner with firms that invest across a range of industries, including financial services, healthcare, technology, manufacturing, and consumer products. Malk was an early entrant into this rapidly-evolving industry and continues to be at the forefront of ESG innovation and defining best practices.
Associates at Malk assist with engagements on our private equity, private credit, or growth equity teams. Their work most frequently takes the form of ESG due diligence reviews for prospective acquisitions. Malk expects Associates to think creatively about material ESG issues, systematically examine business practices, effectively communicate findings to the team, and develop strong recommendations for tangible improvement. In many aspects of their jobs, Associates at Malk are relied upon to function in an unstructured work environment and take ownership over their work from an early stage in their careers. Additionally, as employees of a small business, Associates often have opportunities to work with more-senior team members to drive firm-level initiatives in the areas of human capital, marketing, service improvement, technology, and more.
· Due Diligence Engagements: evaluate a company’s exposure to material ESG risks and its capacity to mitigate those risks for a client considering acquisition. Assisting with ESG due diligence reviews is the core responsibility (at least 80% of total time) of all Associates at Malk.
o Gain a rapid and deep understanding of a company’s core operations through a review of publicly-available information and extensive primary-source document review (policies, contracts, litigation, etc.)
o Identify all potentially material ESG issues and develop tailored questions to be asked of key stakeholders to further assess the company’s risk exposure and management capacity
o Listen into live calls (led by more-senior team members) with the management team at the company and take copious notes on their responses about the company’s ESG risk exposure, risk mitigation practices, and value-creation opportunities
o Synthesize information from various sources into a cohesive narrative outlining the company’s current state and Malk’s recommendations for tangible ESG improvements; assist in the drafting and editing of Malk ESG due diligence reports (~15-35 pages written)
· Monitoring Engagements: follow up with clients’ existing portfolio companies to assess ESG progress made since acquisition and provide renewed recommendations based on any significant changes in risk exposure or evolving ESG best practices
· Strategy Engagements: assist in the development of private equity clients’ ESG strategies, including ESG policy development, firm-level assessments, and facilitating ESG communications with limited partners
· Skills: exceptional writing, research, communication, presentation, organization, and qualitative reasoning skills are required; a strong business acumen and familiarity with operational fundamentals is strongly preferred
· Experience: Strong candidates generally have 0-2 years of work experience. No direct experience in sustainability, finance, or consulting is required; however, Associates are expected to bring foundational knowledge of core business functions (e.g. HR, IT, Legal, Marketing, Sales, Procurement, etc.) and to be rapid learners.
· Education: BA/BS degree from a reputable college or university
· Location: San Diego or New York
· Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits
· Start Date: January, June, or September 2022