PLEASE APPLY VIA APPLICANT STACK – materials submitted solely through Handshake will NOT be reviewed.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office anticipates openings beginning in the late spring and summer of 2021 for Paralegals in its Appeals Division. The Appeals Division provides New York’s appellate courts and federal courts with in-depth written and oral analyses of legal and factual issues, arising from a wide range of criminal prosecutions, to ensure that properly-obtained convictions are upheld and that no defect in the trial-level proceedings unduly affects either the public or the accused. Paralegals are responsible for providing a full-range of administrative and litigation support to the attorneys in the Appeals Division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Write, with a designated attorney, an elementary legal brief each month.
- Maintain and update the Division’s automated case tracking system.
- Manage federal and state court related caseloads.
- Communicate with defense attorneys and various courts regarding status of appeals.
- Assist attorneys with all aspects of filing briefs, such as proofreading, cite-checking, and locating files and documents.
- Work closely with the Records Department to locate sensitive case materials.
- Perform related administrative and clerical tasks as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to update and edit existing databases.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage deadlines.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and court representatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required by start date.
- One (1) year commitment to the Appeals Division.
Please submit application and materials through Applicant Stack: