This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Paid internship | Part time | Worldwide | Up to 6 month placement
MenEngage Global Alliance is looking for a self-motivated advocate for women’s rights and gender justice with a passion for policy advocacy to join the MenEngage Alliance team for a part-time, flexible internship placement for up to 6 months. We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and encourage those from underrepresented communities to apply.
You will develop skills and experience in critical political and activist work that aims to help advance women’s rights and gender equality through transforming patriarchal masculinities and engaging boys and men.
With support from the Advocacy Manager and the wider team, you will develop monitor policy processes and outcomes across a variety of United Nations and multilateral spaces, as well as support in the consolidation of the Alliance’s advocacy knowledge management. You will have the opportunity to tap into the experiences and knowledge of the network’s 1200+ global membership to create compelling content that supports feminist approaches to working with men and boys around the world.
This role can be done remotely, wherever internet connectivity permits. You will have regular contact with the advocacy manager using video calls, instant messaging, and email – as well as support from the MenEngage Alliance Global Secretariat team.
About MenEngage Alliance
MenEngage Alliance is a social change network of over 1200 members across 7 regions and 84 countries, that comprises many, if not most, of the leading voices on men and masculinities in the world, including practitioners, service providers, researchers, activists and donors. The Alliance brings together significant social capital to address the pressing development, rights, equality, health-outcomes and justice issues of our time, in partnership with other organizations and activists in the field. Through our organizing we facilitate collaborative actions across constituencies, to support gender transformative programming and policies that are inclusive of a men and masculinities lens and how these factors influence people’s rights, health and well-being.
The Alliance plays a pivotal role in shaping the discourse and agenda on transforming masculinities and engaging men and boys within the broader movement for women’s rights and gender justice, particularly in the areas of gender-based violence prevention, advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights for all, redistributing unpaid care-work, and advancing gender, peace and security. The Global Secretariat is a small team who run the daily operations of the Alliance.
You will be working closely with the advocacy manager and the wider team to:
● Map outcomes of Human Rights Council, United Nations General Assembly, High-Level Political Forum and other relevant global and regional intergovernmental processes and support in drafting relevant updates and analysis for dissemination to the wider Alliance
● Track and monitor upcoming campaigns, global awareness-raising actions, and solidarity actions with other social, youth, and environmental justice actions and actors.
● Update the MenEngage Alliance advocacy calendar over the strategic plan period from 2021-2024, including global and regional sessions
● Work alongside advocacy manager and communications coordinator to connect with regional networks to support in developing an advocacy knowledge management strategy that disseminates global advocacy outcome across the Alliance and elevates national/regional advocacy knowledge products at global level
● Join team calls and meetings as needed.
● Support drafting and coordinating content for the MenEngage policy briefs.
● Support drafting monitoring and updated mapping of normative frameworks across the Alliance’s expanding areas of focus.
● Other tasks can be discussed based on your individual skills and interests, as well as the priorities for MenEngage Alliance.
Skills and experience
The following list shows some of the skills and experience you will need. If you do not feel you have all of these skills, please consider applying based on the skills and qualities that you feel make you a relevant candidate for this internship:
● Attention to detail, interpersonal skills, and self-motivation.
● Fluent English and or Spanish and strength/interest in writing.
● Some experience in policy advocacy and activism, preferable with the United Nations.
● Abilities and skills to produce quality written content.
● Abilities and skills in researching and processing information from a broad range of sources.
● Strong analytical skills related to social and political norms and structures.
● Interest and understanding of feminism, women’s rights, and ‘men and masculinities’ work.
● Education or work experience background in gender studies or related fields will be an advantage
The internship is part-time and the number of hours can be mutually agreed, along with the financial remuneration. All applicants are expected to be able to work for at least three months, with a preference for those able to work longer.
Please submit a motivation letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject ‘Advocacy internship’ by August 15th, 2021.