HR Assistant and Payroll/Accounting Specialist
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) is seeking a Human Resources / Payroll and Accounting Specialist to assist with personnel, payroll, and accounts payable duties. With funds from United Way, other private foundations, and local, state, and federal governments, Legal Aid employs over 150 staff, including 80 attorneys, to provide free civil legal services to low-income persons and others in Central Minnesota. The position is located in the downtown Minneapolis administrative office which provides support to eight program offices. Legal Aid is a nonprofit corporation and is audited annually.
Summary: Provides administrative support to and reports to the Comptroller. Compiles and records employee time and payroll data. Provides support with recruiting and on-boarding. The position has frequent interactions with the Human Resources Director and the Diversity/Equity/Inclusion (DEI) Officer.
- Enters biweekly payroll information and adjustments into the system to guarantee payroll occurs accurately, timely, and smoothly.
- Reconciles benefit monthly statements and brings any irregularities to the Comptroller.
- Prepares new employee files.
- Administers Family Medical Leave (FMLA), COBRA, and all leaves including Worker’s Comp leaves.
- Assists the Human Resources Director with facilitating orientations and onboarding, including benefit enrollment for new employees.
- Verifies I-9 documentation and maintains current and terminated files.
- Handles all employee and organizational information confidentially.
- Electronically files papers and documents into employee files.
- Creates reports as needed from payroll system.
- Assists the Human Resources Director with administering the recruiting efforts for all open positions, schedules interviews with managers, conducts references, and background checks.
- Trains new hires on payroll system to ensure understanding of timecard, PTO usage, etc.
- Billing colleges/universities for law clerk reimbursement.
- Alignment with and commitment to the mission and values of Legal Aid.
- Keying accounts payable.
- Preparing and mailing checks.
- Maintaining accounts payable files.
- May assist Comptroller with performing bank account and other reconciliations.
- Other duties as assigned.
· Basic knowledge of personnel management, ability to meet deadlines, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and spreadsheet skills required.
· Work is fast paced, requires analytic skills, and includes data input and filing.
· The position requires familiarity with basic personnel and accounting concepts, attention to detail, and the ability to be trained quickly.
· Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required, EXCEL a plus.
· Two-year degree preferred or equivalent experience.
· Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus.
We are an essential business, so we have been working on keeping our staff healthy and safe. We have limited staff on site; masks are required. This position requires the HR Assistant/Payroll Specialist be in the office two to three days a week. The other days will be working virtually from home.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Hourly position. The starting salary will be $34,396 to $39,366, depending on experience. Benefits include family health insurance, life insurance, vacation and sick leave, and short and long-term disability insurance.
APPLICATIONS: Submit cover letter, resume, three job-related references, and salary expectations online at: www.mylegalaid.org/employment by Friday, November 6, 2020, or until position is filled.
No calls please. Questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
Legal Aid is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.