This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Part Time • Up to 15 hours per week • Starts May 24, 2021 and ends August 27, 2021 • Competitive pay ($25/hour) • Work from anywhere in the contiguous U.S.
Application deadline: April 21, 2021.
Apply here: https://grnh.se/455601a01us
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration, and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and we’re fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice, and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
MoveOn’s Mobile team is a small and nimble team, so everyone’s work is vital. The work that you do will be an important part of how we elevate MoveOn members’ voices, communicate around our core campaigns, influence the national political narrative, build progressive power, and set the agenda for a progressive governing future.
- Engage in MoveOn’s campaigning work across Program teams, producing editorial content and supporting key campaigns.
- Become proficient at using MoveOn’s mobile suite—particularly our broadcast SMS platform (Mobile Commons), and including our peer-to-peer texting platform (Spoke).
- Collaborate with Mobile and Program team members to produce texting campaigns and measure the impact of those campaigns.
- Implement creative growth tactics that lead to consistent and sustainable growth in our mobile subscription lists.
- In service of creating the best experience for members, you will become familiar with MoveOn’s email, petitions, and event platforms, and integrate those tools with mobile campaigns.
A successful candidate will …
- Have experience with and interest in activism, advocacy, organizing, or politics.
- Have experience with texting for political or social advocacy.
- Have an eye for high-performing content that will resonate with and grow MoveOn’s membership.
- Have strong writing skills for mobile formats, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Be able to work well under pressure within a fast-paced, high-performing team.
- Be technically savvy with computers.
- Be able to learn and adapt quickly to change.
- Be willing to self-reflect, learn, grow, and stretch themselves.
Required skills and experience
- Ability to learn MoveOn’s suite of mobile tools (Mobile Commons and Spoke).
- Three months of experience producing texting campaigns for electoral, advocacy, or organizing purposes, including drafting content, constructing audiences, and loading and sending texts via a broadcast or peer-to-peer texting platform.
- Self-directedness—MoveOn is a virtual office, and while you will interact with your colleagues constantly, you will be driving your own workflow and output. Excellent personal organization and time management skills are key.
- Commitment to applying anti-oppression frameworks—especially with regard to racial, gender, and economic injustice—to work you collaborate on.
- Keen attention to detail and highly dependable work ethic.
Nice to have
- Proficiency in Spoke or other peer-to-peer texting platforms (Hustle, Relay, GetThru, etc.), Upland Mobile Commons or other broadcast texting platforms (Strive, Prompt, Tatango, etc.), ActionKit, SQL, Excel, and Slack
- One year of experience administering texting campaigns under supervision, with responsibility for content creation and production
- Occasional weekend availability
Reports to: Mobile Innovation Director
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: part time (up to 15 hours per week), $25 per hour, and $175 monthly toward cost of cellphone, internet, and office expenses; home office subsidy also provided.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.