To provide professional legal services for the Law Offices of the Public Defender in representing juvenile and adult indigent clients in areas of litigation, appeal, counsel, research and analysis.
Public Defender (PA2)
- Attorneys at this level may handle a variety of cases, including misdemeanor, juvenile, youthful offender or appellate cases.
- May assist higher level Attorneys with complex cases.
- Advise and counsel clients regarding case strategy and possible outcomes.
- Work is performed under the direction, guidance and supervision from more experienced colleagues and supervisor/manager.
- Will conduct plea bargaining,when appropriate,with District Attorneys and other parties to establish agreements to resolve cases.
- Will attend seminars, training classes and review current professional literature to maintain and develop professional skills and knowledge.
- Drafts/reviews, proposes and prepares reports and legal documents.
- Performs related and other duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
License to practice law in New Mexico, or eligible for a limited license issued by NM Supreme Court.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Collective Bargaining: This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
Default FLSA: Exempt.
Geographic Pay Differential: This position may qualify for Geographic Pay Differential. Please refer to the LOPD website, Geographic Differential, for more information.
The Law Offices of the Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political affiliation or religion, mental or physical disability, or serious medical condition.
This job advertisement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Preference may be given to multilingual applicants fluent in English and other languages.