Improving the markets requires proprietary trading systems nimble enough to operate at peak efficiency in even the most extreme market conditions. Optiver’s engineers build those systems. It starts with a rigorous training program, during which you’ll learn the ins and outs of our trading systems and the engineering principles that underpin our decision-making. Some of the challenges you’ll face daily include, automatically pricing diverse sets of financial instruments and guaranteeing our systems are safe and controlled in an environment with no room for error. Of course, rapidly changing market events ensure a steady flow of new and complex challenges that will require you to constantly sharpen your skills.
Austin is the home of our futures trading business where we employ ML-based trading strategies. Our engineers and researchers play key roles in building out Optiver’s Austin location, all with the goal of Austin becoming Optiver’s US technology hub.
Technology at Optiver:
As an engineer, you are a maker at heart. And at Optiver you will have the opportunity to take ownership of complex problems and craft solutions—to make stuff—from day one. Every day will bring fresh challenges that demand even fresher thinking. And the proprietary trading systems you build will directly impact financial markets that—either directly or indirectly—touch the lives of millions of people.
What you’ll need:
• Graduating with a BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
• Have an expected graduation date between December 2021 and June 2022 (Spring and Fall 2022 start dates available)
• Knowledge of algorithms, data structures, concurrency, and systems programming concepts
• Experience with C/C++, Python, Linux preferred
• Ability to communicate and collaborate with developers, traders, and business operations on a daily basis
• Excitement to learn options trading and apply this knowledge toward well-crafted solutions
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment authorization for this job opening
Who we are:
Optiver is a proprietary trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
*We accept one application per role per year. If you have previously applied to the Research Engineer position during this season and have been unsuccessful, you can reapply once the next recruitment season begins in 2022.