Orbis in Hong Kong
Orbis Investment Management (Hong Kong) Limited is based in Hong Kong and responsible for research and investment management in Global Emerging Markets. We are actively growing from our current base of approx. 10 professionals.
At Orbis we take a different approach:
- We are privately owned, so that there is no short-term shareholder pressure and we can make sure we always do the right thing for clients’ long-term interest.
- We believe investing should be accessible to all, from big private or institutional investors to everyday investors whose wealth and financial freedom we hope to build.
- We are willing to go against the herd in our investment decisions, looking for hidden and missed value and having the conviction of applying our strategy rigorously and consistently over time.
We believe it is the things we do differently that make the difference: our flagship global strategy has outperformed its benchmark by an average of 4.3% per year over 30 years.
The same applies to our recruitment decisions. We would not be overly focused on prior finance or investing experience. We are looking for exceptional people with a combination of intellectual curiosity, strong analytical skills, outstanding judgement, and a track record of excellence in their chosen field.
As an Investment Analyst you would conduct fundamental bottom-up research and identify favourable equity investment opportunities based on long-term return prospects. Orbis’ investment philosophy is to buy shares when they are priced substantially below our assessment of their intrinsic value.
- An Investment Analyst’s key role is to generate primary research that results in investment recommendations for our funds. As such, your responsibilities may include:
- Performing rigorous, bottom-up analysis, using both quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Developing an independent, fact-driven perspective on individual stocks
- Speaking to and/or meeting with senior management teams of the companies under research
- Authoring written reports that clearly articulate an investment case, including the appropriate supporting evidence and quantitative analysis
- Recommending stocks for consideration in the funds and debating stock recommendations with other Orbis investment professionals globally
As an Investment Analyst at Orbis, you will have the opportunity to develop your stock picking skills in an inclusive work environment. Career development opportunities will depend on your individual talent, progression, and circumstances.
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to think differently from the crowd
- Track record of exceptional academic achievement and independent thinking. Prior experience is not required
- Strong self-motivation and ability to thrive in an unstructured environment
- Strong interest in business and investing
Instructions for Application
To apply, please send your résumé, along with your answers to the following 3 questions:
- Why are you interested in business and investing?
- Which aspects of Orbis are most appealing to you?
- What is your favoured long-term geographic location?
Please apply before 2 October 2021 and limit your answers to one page and submit the application in a combined PDF file. Please note that we are only able to respond to successful candidates.
Orbis is a global, privately owned investment firm, managing over $30 billion of assets, 10 offices, and approx. 400 staff. We have been focused on creating long-term value for our clients since 1990. Our investment philosophy is fundamental, long-term and contrarian. We are uniquely structured to encourage bold but considered decisions, even in times of stress. As a firm, our business model requires us to deliver meaningful outperformance to our clients.
We believe that in order to generate better long-term returns than the market, one needs to do things differently.