Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national nonprofit organization that empowers young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources they need to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college student volunteers to teach a skills-based health curriculum in public high schools that lack health education, and in which a majority of students come from low-income households. This year in Chicago, we are training 300 college student volunteers from the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Northwestern to deliver our new virtual program to 6,500 ninth graders across 25 public high schools.
The PHE Chicago Development Intern will work closely with the Senior Development Manager, Chicago to support in writing thoughtful grant proposals, researching and brainstorming potential sources of support for our work, helping develop our fundraising and communication strategies, and performing some general administrative tasks. This position will be REMOTE.
The PHE Chicago External Affairs Intern will:
Assist with PHE’s external affairs efforts by:
- Researching major donors (individuals, foundations and corporations) supporting similar organizations in Chicago
- Writing and editing grant proposals and other written communications
- Support in the planning of PHE Chicago’s virtual events
- Supporting in PHE Chicago’s efforts to garner earned media
- Preparing PHE Chicago’s monthly newsletters and writing content for distribution
Support general administration by:
- Researching weekly news on topics relevant to the PHE mission by reviewing city-specific news sources, reviewing e-mail updates from health- and education related news feeds, signing up for updates from additional news sources, and supporting the development of organizational newsletters
- Complete other tasks as needed, such as researching best practices in event-based fundraising
- Other duties as assigned.