Note: In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the required materials (resume cover letter, and unofficial transcript) via our firm’s external job portal here: https://portolapartnersllc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=78
Portola Partners is looking to hire Financial Analysts to join our almost 30-person independent wealth management firm headquartered in Silicon Valley. We counsel clients with approximately $4.5 billion of combined assets and over $9 billion of aggregate net worth. We provide sophisticated investment advice and integrated, comprehensive planning to high net worth families, foundations, and endowments. Careful to minimize conflicts of interest with our clients, we neither sell products nor receive commissions. We grow through word-of-mouth referrals; no one on our team engages in any cold-calling activities.
We hope to hire truly great team players who have the potential to become partners in our organization in the future. Our healthily growing team based in Menlo Park is comprised of truly wonderful people who greatly enjoy working together and have unusually high levels of trust, respect, and affection for each other. The team aspires to continue to build a high-integrity organization that a) endeavors with very high professional standards always to do the right thing for clients and b) attracts, retains, excites, and develops truly exceptional people.
Our analysts work closely with senior professionals to provide extraordinary client service. Responsibilities include interacting with clients and other service providers, conducting complex financial analyses, planning and executing client investment actions, tracking investment performance, preparing financial statements, and assembling materials for client meetings. Our meritocratic environment is highly conducive to learning.
We welcome candidates from all undergraduate majors and non‐MBA graduate programs. We seek colleagues who are highly ethical, team‐oriented, empathetic, analytical, motivated, and intellectually curious. Ideal candidates will possess great interpersonal skills, excellent judgment, broad problem-solving skills, and a professional, service‐oriented demeanor. Past Analyst/Associates have a compelling track record of gaining admission to top‐tier business schools. Compensation, benefits, and vacation policy are attractive and highly competitive with top‐tier banks and consulting firms. Given our commitment to work‐life balance, we expect our analysts to work significantly fewer hours on average than analysts in other financial analyst positions.
- Work closely with senior professionals to provide extraordinary client service
- Interact with clients and service providers, including money managers and tax and legal advisors
- Conduct complex financial analyses on a wide range of investment and financial planning topics
- Prepare client financial statements and track investment performance
- Manage workflow and prioritize projects
- Assist in creating and assembling materials for client meetings
- Ensure that client investment actions are carefully planned and executed
- Bachelor’s degree from a top‐tier school
- Strong test scores and undergraduate grades
- Credible interest in private wealth management or financial advisory services
- Well‐developed quantitative aptitude
- Experience with Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Mature, professional demeanor that builds trust with clients and teammates
- Initiative and perseverance
- Ability to work independently and function as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Organizational skills to prioritize workflow and manage multiple projects
- Willingness to work 50 hours per week on average
- High degree of integrity and absolute respect for client confidentiality
- Very strong ties to and long‐term plans to reside in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Very strong interest in promotion to Associate and at least some interest in a long‐term career with us
- Compensation, benefits, and vacation policy are attractive and highly competitive with top‐tier banks and consulting firms