Promundo-US, an international non-governmental organization (NGO) working to promote gender equality andprevent violence, seeks an intern to work with its Program team in Washington, DC office.
Promundo is a global leader in promoting gender equality and preventing violence by engaging men and boys in partnership with women and girls. We believe that working with men and boys to transform harmful gender norms and unequal power dynamics is a critical part of the solution to achieve gender equality. Promundo’s formative research and rigorous evaluation, evidence-based programs, and targeted advocacy efforts strive to create change at multiple levels. Since 1997, Promundo’s initiatives – in collaboration with partners in more than 45 countries – have reached nearly 10 million people through programs and training, campaigns and community engagement; and over 2 billion potential viewers through media, resulting in broader awareness around gender equality and violence prevention, as well as changes in attitudes and behaviors related to intimate partner violence; sexual and reproductive health and rights; and domestic work and caregiving, among others. For more information, visit: www.promundoglobal.org
The intern will work under the supervision of the Program Director/Senior Program Officer and will have the following responsibilities:
· Support the Programs Team in the development of research tools and protocols to guide formative research in ongoing and future projects, evaluations and assessments of existing programming;
· Support the implementation of qualitative research and development of subsequent learning briefs on programs to systematize the lessons learned and best practices of its various adaptations
· Support the Programs Team to develop a knowledge management repository organizing Promundo’s curricula, publications, M&E tools, formative research instruments and other relevant programmatic materials.
· Support technical assistance and capacity building activities with local partners (eg: non-governmental organizations, research institutions or private companies) and other activities involved in implementing programs. These can include organizing meetings, preparing background materials, drafting key agreements from coordination and program inception meetings, drafting quarterly reports, etc. with high quality and in a timely manner
· Update and support the development of gender-transformative curricula content to be implemented through in-person, virtual or remote methodologies
· Support Programs team in the implementation of virtual gender-transformative trainings
· Systematize the organization of proposal program narratives and concept notes in a repository
· Edit, reformat, and conduct simple layout of documents including training agendas, budgets, training PowerPoints, and other documents as requested
· Conduct background research on key themes and issues to inform program and research tool design, including but not limited to fatherhood and caregiving, youth and equality, conflict and masculinities, gender and economic justice
· Develop blog posts and other social media content as needed
· Other tasks as assigned
· Excellent English writing, editing, and proofreading skills
· Second language skills, Spanish, French and / or Arabic preferred
· Strong attention to detail
· Hard worker and quick learner
· Proactive, able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize well, with strong self- motivation
· Understanding of program design, M&E frameworks and tools, developing curricula or trainings
· Graduate degree
· Knowledge of gender, global health, international development, and/or social justice issues
· Qualitative and/or quantitative research skills
Duration & Location
· Flexible start date; late October 2020 preferred.
· Ability to commit to internship for 16 hours/week for six months, at least through mid-March 2021, with potential to extend.
· This position will be working remotely at least through the end of the year due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Though the internship is remote, Promundo-US is a DC-based employer. For tax purposes, you must have residence in DC, MD, or VA.
To apply, please send a 1) resume, 2) cover letter, and 3) writing sample of no more than 3 pages as a single PDF file labeled “LastName_FirstName_ProgramsIntern” no later than October 23rd to: email@example.com. Please write “Programs Internship” as the subject heading. Please indicate if you are legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Please view this description as a general overview, but not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute and lead in this role, do apply. We want to hear from you!
Promundo-US is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive working space for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin including ancestry, ethnicity, sex including pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, and transgender status, disability, alienage or citizenship status, military status, including past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, actual or perceived sexual orientation.