Academic Credit: Offered upon the school department’s approval
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to renewing and advancing the values of liberal democracy in the U.S. and around the world. We promote intellectual humility and an empathetic approach to disagreement.
We have a small, tight-knit executive team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to learn all aspects of how to run an organization and make a personal impact on America’s democratic landscape. Because we are a start-up organization, interns should also be ready to play multiple roles as we have an “all hands on deck” mentality. All roles will have a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
Interns will have unprecedented access to our Board of Directors through our lunch & learns and other events—including renowned chess grandmaster & Putin critic Garry Kasparov, Senator Heidi Heitkamp, Lt. Col Alexander Vindman, Pulitzer Prize winner Bret Stephens, former head of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele, and many others. Check out our website for more info!
About the role
This is an absolutely critical role managing RDI’s contacts database and executing our community management priorities.This role will involve working on some combination of the below:
- Running a CRM (EveryAction), which will entail the following:
- designing emails;
- segmenting audiences;
- creating and managing events;
- audience performance and analytics analysis;
- injecting CRM forms into our website to collect signups;
- basic HTML knowledge;
- Create and manage Zoom webinars for live events;
- Google Analytics knowledge;
- Google Search Console knowledge;
- HTML, CSS, or any other relevant coding experience (preferred, not required).
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, and recent grads are encouraged to apply;
- Detail-oriented to a fault;
- Deep belief in RDI’s mission and values;
- Problem-solving skills and high levels of intuition;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Open-minded and willing to interact with a broad range of often-conflicting political points of view;
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative;
- Experience with Google Suite (especially Google Sheets), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools (especially EveryAction), Zoom, and other development databases strongly preferred;
- Experience in the fundraising and development space is a plus.
Logistics & Benefits
- An ability to work remotely due to the current crisis and, if/when it’s safe to return to the office, an opportunity to work at an exciting start-up with unlimited snacks, coffee, and other perks;
- Our internships last 3-6 months. Interns can either work full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week); but can be flexible depending on applicant’s circumstance;
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule;
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network;
- This is an unpaid internship;
- A typical day could include spending a few hours updating the website and doing various CRM related tasks; segmenting audiences and running reports; participating in a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a business leader; and coordinating with the Newsletter and Event teams to put together digital content.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter covering relevant experience and interest in the role, and either a portfolio or examples of your web development and management experience to email@example.com. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.