The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to creating a movement based on rational discourse and political liberalism, both of which have come under threat from across the political spectrum. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey; and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to data-driven decision-making and combatting the twin threats of far-left and far-right radicalism. Our Board and extended network give us unique credibility and a global perspective as we educate people about core liberal principles and empower them to prioritize these values in their civic behavior.
We have a small, tight-knit team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to work on high-level projects and partnerships and make a personal impact on American democracy. As a start-up organization, we have an “all hands on deck” approach, and interns should expect to play multiple roles, handling a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
About the role
- Working with the marketing team to create and implement social media campaigns that promote RDI to stakeholders and different segments of our target audiences
- Maximizing engagement with members of the online public and responding to messages, comments, or posts in a witty manner consistent with RDI’s views
- Creating engaging, informative online content that can be adapted to our various digital channels. This will involve writing pithy captions that effectively summarize key ideas
- Using our social media management platform (Social Pilot) to monitor analytics to draw in and maintain a wide audience
- Planning and executing the distribution of multimedia content, with the twin aims of maximizing reach and developing a consistent brand for RDI
- Working with RDI stakeholders to simultaneously promote their & RDI’s online brands
- Reaching out to diverse communities of online influencers to disseminate our content
- Leveraging and maintaining our customer relationship management (CRM) database in order to track contributions and audience interactions with RDI content
Qualifications of an ideal candidate
- Knowledge of social media management, marketing, and/or communications is absolutely key
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads, or those with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply
- Detail-oriented to a fault
- Strong belief in RDI’s mission and values;
- Politically well-informed with a strong intuition for how to make content resonate with the online public and how to engage effectively on Twitter, Facebook, TikTok and other social media channels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Open-minded and willing to interact with those with whom they may disagree
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative
- Experience with SEO, Youtube, Google ads & analytics & website design is a plus
- Experience with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) metrics is a plus
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management and relevant online databases, such as EveryAction and SocialPilot, is a plus
- While not required, foreign language proficiency (especially Russian, Spanish, or Chinese) is a plus
Logistics & Benefits
- This is an unpaid, volunteer internship
- Academic Credit is offered upon school or departmental approval
- This internship lasts 4 months, concurrent with the Fall academic semester, and interns can choose to work either full time (40 hours/week) or part time (25+ hours/week)
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network
- A typical day could include spending a few hours on RDI’s social media channels; discussing content ideas with teammates; participating in a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a global business leader; reviewing RDI’s customer relationship manager; and attending team meetings to update & improve upon our social media strategy
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter, and, if possible, any examples of your work that would be relevant to social media management (Feel free to be creative) to email@example.com. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an equal-opportunity employer.