This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
The Rian Immigrant Center, located in downtown Boston, is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic intern to provide support to the Rian Immigration Legal Services (ILS) Program. This position offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in immigration or social justice to become part of a team of people dedicated to helping immigrants and refugees. This is a chance to make a difference in the lives of immigrants and to gain an appreciation for diverse cultures. You will be given significant responsibility, and will gain solid experience and learn new skills while receiving on the job training in a supportive non-profit environment with a real community feel. The Rian Immigrant Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds and languages to apply.
Ideally 20+ hours per week, between Monday and Friday – willing to work with class/work schedules. We are closed on the weekend so the internship will take place between Monday and Friday, 9am-5pm, so your weekends will remain free.
January – June 2022
· Intake new clients via phone to collect biographic information required by ILS
· Triage new clients via phone to identify their legal questions
· Schedule new clients for legal consultations with staff and volunteer attorneys
· Communicate with volunteer attorneys regarding scheduled consultations
· Enter client intake information into database
· Interpret during client appointments as needed
· Translate written documents as needed
· Maintain accurate client records
· Participate in departmental and agency wide meetings: training, events, etc.
· Provide administrative support for the ILS program
· Perform other tasks as required by supervisor
· Support the Rian Immigrant Center mission
· A commitment to the overall mission and values of the Rian Immigrant Center
· Spanish fluency required; Portuguese, Haitian Creole or French language skills a plus
· An interest in immigration law desired but not required
· Great organizational skills and attention to detail
· Articulate, and clear communicator
· Highly motivated, an ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Competent in using Microsoft Word , Excel and databases (Salesforce experience a big plus)
· Good interpersonal skills – friendly, helpful, and “can do” attitude
· Ability to handle confidential information with the highest level of discretion
REPORTS TO: Immigration Legal Services Program Associate
ABOUT THE RIAN IMMIGRANT CENTER (formerly the Irish International Immigrant Center)
We empower over 3,500 immigrants and refugees annually from more than 120 countries by providing the legal, wellness and educational support they need to build successful lives. Building on our Irish roots of welcoming others and social justice, we help newcomers find community, and we stand up for immigration policies that are humane and just. America is a nation of immigrants, and despite the current political climate, we are proud to continue the tradition of welcoming immigrants to this country and working together to create a better future for all.
Our vision is of a society where all people are welcomed and valued and enjoy equal opportunities and protections. Rooted in the Irish tradition of hospitality, we work to create a safe and welcoming place for people from around the world who come to our Center.
For more information on the Rian Immigrant Center, please visit www.riancenter.org