Passionate about storytelling to engage, educate, and inspire?
Moved by messaging and frameworks around environmental, social, and economic justice?
Have social media chops?
Think a picture or a video really is worth a thousand words?
Interested in gaining experience working in the nonprofit field, and/or grassroots environmental movement?
Come work for the Rose Foundation as our Communications Intern! You will gain invaluable skills and direct hands-on experience in nonprofit communications and fundraising; raise the profile of the Rose Foundation’s community empowerment and conservation initiatives; and support grassroots projects and leaders tackling the most pressing environmental and social justice issues in California and across the country. We will match your internship focus with your skills, background, and interests to create a meaningful and engaging experience.
About the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
For over 25 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, community health, and people’s rights. Our community-based grantmaking approach has earned national recognition for building grassroots power for conservation and social justice causes, and our New Voices Are Rising youth leadership program trains Oakland high school students to step forward as the next generation of environmental justice leaders.
Our communications desk tells the story of a wide variety of projects and areas of work. The Rose Foundation Communications Team works closely with our Development Team on fundraising campaigns; our Grants Team to share our impacts and grantee stories from across the country; and our New Voices Are Rising Team to tell the story of local Oakland youth leaders stepping up for environmental justice and climate resilience. These projects and assignments are dynamic and developed across many media, from online (website, social media, email marketing, video, etc.) to print (newsletters, reporting, grantwriting, fundraising appeals, etc.).
About You (Communications Intern)
You are passionate about grassroots action at the intersections of conservation, environmental justice, and social justice. You are a strong writer and have a background or sincere interest in communications, storytelling, and/or social media management. You are detail-oriented and care about accuracy in writing and storytelling. You will assist the Development and Communications Team at the Rose Foundation and have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects within a small, dynamic team. This position is a great fit for anyone interested in a nonprofit career and wanting to learn more about how nonprofits share impact stories and raise funds to further their mission and programming.
Potential Communications Internship Projects Include:
- Supporting the implementation of the Rose Editorial Calendar
- Helping to draft social media posts across our platforms (Facebook and Twitter) that drives engagement with our audiences
- Interviewing people and organizations and writing features for our Monthly E-News and bi-annual print newsletter
- Supporting our programs and campaigns through visual storytelling by designing graphics and infographics, producing videos, and taking photos
- Supporting communications during fundraising appeals
- Writing and editing reports and project summaries
- Tracking impact and engagement across platforms (social media, website, email marketing, etc.)
- Keeping our team’s materials organized – including cataloging quotes, pictures, and videos in our Story Banks
Required Experience and Skills:
- Excellent storytelling, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to tailor writing for different contexts and audiences (e.g. Facebook vs E-News)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, desire to work in a close-knit team
- Highly organized and committed to meeting deadlines
- Interest in diving into projects and learning new things
- Ability to ‘walk the line’ between taking direction and working independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for our mission
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, Email Marketing Platforms (Vertical Response, Mailchimp, etc.), Google Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel)
Bonus Skills and Experience:
- Background in graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, etc.)
- Background in video editing (iMovie, Premiere)
- Event planning experience
- Writing fluency in Spanish