This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Rural Investment to Protect our Environment (RIPE) is a non-profit program dedicated to fostering a bipartisan coalition for federal climate policy that invests in sustainable agriculture and agricultural producers’ profitability. This volunteer will gain experience with nonprofit communications, fundraising and grant writing, and other areas of nonprofit management. They will also be steeped in an organization focused on topics including: climate, water, sustainable agriculture, ecosystem services, and agricultural economics. If you are talented, proactive, and interested in learning the ins and outs building support for a small but mighty nonprofit, this is the opportunity for you.
RIPE is a non-profit based in Washington, DC that works toward the following goals:
- Comprehensively addressing climate change with a bipartisan mandate.
- Fairly compensating farmers with a profitable and reliable revenue stream that communities can rely upon in an era of declining rural economies, climate-related disruptions to agricultural production, and fluctuating commodity pricing.
- Investing in the adoption of voluntary sustainable agriculture practices to improve drinking water quality, soil health, and climate mitigation.
Experience Gained & Responsibilities
The volunteer will be integrated into the RIPE team as a core contributor and will be treated as a professional. The volunteer will perform any of a number of projects, including those listed below. The final workplans will be designed in consultation with the volunteer’s interests, balanced with program priority needs. Volunteers will have a combination of funding raising and communications responsibility, as well as some administrative support.
- Develop and support content-marketing efforts including blog posts, social media assets, newsletters, etc.
- Aid in the ideation and execution of marketing collateral including print communications
- Research and otherwise creatively seek out information about funders and grants that would be applicable to RIPE
- Assist in the completion of grant applications and letters of interest
- Possess a willing to jump in and provide assistance outside of job description to achieve team success
Skills & Interests
The desired skills and interests of this volunteer position are:
- Knowledge/experience in writing and copyediting, short and long form
- Interest in understanding and developing skills in brand voice and tone in writing
- Some social media execution experience or interest in expanding skills
- Experience with marketing research or interest in expanding skills
- Video creation/editing experience
- Content creation experience and interest in developing skills in Canva, MailChimp, and other communications platforms
- Knowledge of or interest in the grantmaking environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work against deadlines
- Interest in driving comprehensive climate policy and the environmental and economic sustainability of rural communities
- A stipend will be offered to support this volunteer position
- Volunteer positions run from early June through August, with 3 weeks’ vacation.
- Volunteers work remotely with flexibility on which hours work for them, with weekly or bi-weekly check-in calls with their project manager. Volunteers will submit weekly work memos in advance of, and receive feedback during, those calls.
- RIPE Team meetings occur weekly, allowing volunteers to present summaries of their research to RIPE staff and connect with other volunteers.
- Please submit your resume and cover letter to Careers@RipeRoadmap.org as soon as possible and no later than May 15, 2021. Application are being reviewed on a rolling basis. Please use the subject line “Comms and Fundraising Volunteer Application.” Due to the high volume of applicants, we do not respond to all candidates.