Sanctuary Kitchen, a program of CitySeed, partners with immigrant and refugee chefs to build economic opportunity and authentic connections through food.
We are seeking interns for the fall 2021, spring 2022, and summer 2022 semesters.
Our vision is to enhance the culinary skills of refugees and immigrants in a supportive environment that honors story and diverse cultural traditions, fosters community and understanding, offers professional development, and generates economic success in the most delicious way possible. We do this through refugee and immigrant-led cooking classes, supper clubs, and other culinary events. Our social enterprise provides authentic, multicultural catering and food products that support employment, professional training, and integration for refugees and immigrants in Greater New Haven.
Interns are a valuable part of the Sanctuary Kitchen team and play a critical role in helping us achieve our mission. The ideal candidate is willing to learn, hardworking, and creative with an enthusiasm for connecting communities through food. Interns will complete the internship having gained broad experience about the nonprofit sector and food industry, and be mentored and trained by professionals with decades of combined experience in these spaces. They will gain practical experience in their internship area, have access to educational and networking opportunities, and have the option of obtaining college credits or meeting course requirements. Internships are unpaid and part-time (schedule is flexible with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week).
Culinary Operations Intern
The Culinary Operations Intern will gain hands-on work experience and mentorship in all aspects of our food social enterprise. In addition to working alongside our immigrant and refugee chefs in the kitchen, the Culinary Operations Intern will work alongside the Catering Manager in customer service, menu preparation, cost analysis, food procurement, multicultural food preparation, set up and delivery of orders, inventory and service management, and program evaluation. This position is in-person at our New Haven location.
- Enrolled in a college level Culinary Arts Program or have related training
- Understand and implement the maintenance required for safe and sanitary food service operations
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Positive attitude and willingness to take on projects
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Reliable, punctual, and professional
- Proven ability to be flexible and work in a fast-moving environment
- Experience with or enthusiasm for working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with Squarespace and Square Online a plus
- A reliable personal vehicle & car insurance desired
- Knowledge of Arabic or Dari/Farsi a plus