Sanctuary Kitchen, a program of CitySeed, partners with immigrant and refugee chefs to build economic opportunity and authentic connections through food.
We are seeking interns for the fall 2021, spring 2022, and summer 2022 semesters.
Our vision is to enhance the culinary skills of refugees and immigrants in a supportive environment that honors story and diverse cultural traditions, fosters community and understanding, offers professional development, and generates economic success in the most delicious way possible. We do this through refugee and immigrant-led cooking classes, supper clubs, and other culinary events. Our social enterprise provides authentic, multicultural catering and food products that support employment, professional training, and integration for refugees and immigrants in Greater New Haven.
Interns are a valuable part of the Sanctuary Kitchen team and play a critical role in helping us achieve our mission. The ideal candidate is willing to learn, hardworking, and creative with an enthusiasm for connecting communities through food. Interns will complete the internship having gained broad experience about the nonprofit sector and food industry, and be mentored and trained by professionals with decades of combined experience in these spaces. They will gain practical experience in their internship area, have access to educational and networking opportunities, and have the option of obtaining college credits or meeting course requirements. Internships are unpaid and part-time (schedule is flexible with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week).
The Marketing Intern will bring their experience in marketing, promotion, and community engagement to help promote the mission and products of Sanctuary Kitchen. If you’re creative, tech savvy, love storytelling and have an insatiable curiosity for good food, this role could be perfect for you. As an intern, you will support the Sanctuary Kitchen team in creating, organizing and distributing digital and print content that drives storytelling and promotion for our programming and social enterprise across multiple marketing channels. In-person candidates preferred.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, social media)
- Experience in social media content management and digital marketing
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Positive attitude and willingness to take on projects
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Reliable, punctual, and professional
- Proven ability to be flexible and work in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience with or enthusiasm for working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with Adobe Suite, Canva, Constant Contact, Squarespace, and Square Online desired
- Experience working with and/or desire to work within the culinary industry desired
- Photography and videography skills desired
- Customer service experience a plus