Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP: Civil Rights Firm Seeks Full-Time Legal Assistant
OPENINGS AVAILABLE IN: NEW YORK, NY | SAN FRANCISCO, CA |
SAN DIEGO, CA | BALTIMORE, MD | NASHVILLE, TN
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP is a boutique class-action litigation law firm with offices in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, San Diego, Baltimore, and Nashville. The team is a tightly-knit community of lawyers and legal assistants, all committed to using the law to help craft and enforce a more just society. We specialize in civil rights and general public interest cases, representing plaintiffs with employment discrimination, labor and wage violations, predatory lending, whistleblower, consumer fraud, and many other claims.
We have represented thousands of individuals in some of the most significant class action cases before the courts, securing landmark victories through trial and settlements. In addition, we have a number of cases currently before the district and federal appellate courts that raise novel issues of law. For more information, visit our website: www.sanfordheisler.com.
Works closely with attorneys and other Legal Assistants in all aspects of litigation and pre-litigation matters, including conducting factual investigations; drafting and revising key case-related documents, including memoranda, motions, affidavits, briefs, administrative complaints, and correspondence; performing potential client intake interviews; managing case files; and, preparing for and attending depositions, mediations, client interviews, and court proceedings.
• Investigate facts of cases and search pertinent sources (including, but not limited to,
public records, internet sources, and Westlaw to support legal arguments;
• Provide written factual analysis to attorneys;
• Draft portions of case-related documents and correspondence (including, but not
limited to, routine case-related memoranda, motions, affidavits, briefs, agency
charges, and demand letters);
• Organize and maintain administrative and case-related documents, which may
include exhibits, evidence, depositions, pleadings, correspondence, and other items;
• Manage case logistics, including making travel arrangements, coordinating with
vendors, making payments to vendors, tracking expenses, and managing case
• Prepare for and attend court hearings, depositions, mediations, arbitrations,
investigatory interviews, meetings with law enforcement agencies, and other case-
related proceedings and meetings;
• Review case documents and make determinations of relevance and significance to
• Interview potential clients, summarize their statements, and provide brief analysis of
• Meet with clients and other professionals to discuss details of case;
• File motions and pleadings with courts in accordance with the applicable rules and
• Coordinate and carry out office activity under the direction of their office’s Managing
Partner and case-related activity according to attorney direction;
• Coordinate with legal service vendors (e.g., JAMS, HLP, court reporters, and process
• Maintain records regarding billable hours spent on specific cases;
• Assist in training new Legal Assistants and preparing materials used during their
• Provide office administrative support, which may include providing administrative
support to their office’s Managing Partner and other attorneys at the firm, event
planning and implementation, scheduling and calendaring internal and external
meetings, ordering office supplies (including snacks and drinks), tracking office-related
expenses, keeping the kitchen clean and organized, and coordinating
and tracking office-related keys and cards assigned to employees; and,
• Perform other related duties assigned by the Executive Committee or their office’s
To be eligible, an applicant must have a Bachelor’s degree, be willing to make a two-year commitment, and be available to begin working in Summer 2021.
Applicants should have:
• Extremely strong organizational skills, including the ability to balance multiple
• Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills;
• Research and analytical capabilities, including meticulous attention to detail;
• Initiative and energy to see projects to completion;
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to take direction from a range of
• Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills;
• Proactive, inquisitive, and creative approach to problem solving; and,
• Comfortable using Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Sign, and Westlaw;
experience in iCONECT/Xera is a plus.
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP is strongly committed to EEO principles and values a diverse workplace.
Our legal assistants have gone on to attend law schools such as Harvard, Stanford, and Yale; complete PhD programs in the humanities; join consulting and financial firms; and continue their social justice work in the education and non-profit sectors.
Salary: The first-year salary for this position is $46,500 and the second-year salary is $49,000. Legal Assistants are eligible for overtime.
Applications must include a cover letter, a resume, transcript, list of three references, and two writing samples of no more than 5 pages each. All documents should be sent in Word or PDF. Please specify which location(s) you are applying for and the earliest date you are available to start.
Sanford Heisler Sharp welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please send your request to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address:
ATTN: Anita Youngkin, Senior Human Resources Director
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP
700 Pennsylvania Ave SE, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20003
About Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP
Sanford Heisler Sharp, LLP is a boutique civil rights, class action and public interest litigation law firm with offices in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, San Diego, Nashville and Baltimore. The team is a tightly-knit community of lawyers and legal assistants, all committed to using the law to help craft and enforce a more just society. Since our founding in 2004, we have represented employees, whistleblowers, consumers and other plaintiffs fighting back against workplace discrimination, labor and wage violations, predatory lending, consumer fraud, and other unlawful practices. As private attorneys general, we work to bring systemic change to corporate America while helping our clients vindicate their rights. We have represented thousands of individuals in some of the most significant class action cases before the courts, securing landmark victories through trial and settlements. Many of our cases in state and federal courts throughout the country raise novel legal issues, which we pursue through trial and appeal where necessary in order to move the law itself closer to justice. For more information, please visit our website http://www.sanfordheisler.com/.