This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
ABOUT SPECTRUM NETWORKS INTERNSHIP: Spectrum Networks is seeking talented, creative, technical, highly self-motivated, and enthusiastic individuals to join our team of interns! From first interview through program completion, we offer students a competitive and exciting learning experience which will position you for future news/sports journalism and production opportunities. We take great pride in nurturing up-and-coming stars of tomorrow by providing a robust news experience with Spectrum News and/or Spectrum Sports. Selected candidates will gain a unique opportunity to work with award-winning employees who support the organization’s growth, subscriber retention and profitability.
PROGRAM DATES: September 7th 2021 – November 5th 2021
THIS WILL BE AN IN-PERSON PROGRAM.
ABOUT SPECTRUM NETWORKS: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
EXPERIENCE YOU WILL GAIN: Spectrum Networks Internships provides you with meaningful, real-world experience that will aid in developing confidence and marketable skills for the future. Our Internship will provide you with experiential learning in a professional setting that integrates what you have learned in the classroom. The experience of being a Spectrum Networks Intern will provide you with invaluable experiences in news and sports, and will also allow you to develop your professional skills. You will expand your network and build upon your current resume, all while having fun! Spectrum Networks offers internship opportunities in the following area:
- NEWS: The News intern will learn the evolution of a news story from story assignment to completion and learn the role each person plays in the production of a newscast. The News intern will shadow talented newsroom employees both in front of and behind the camera and hone their writing and on air skills. The intern will work with Dalet and must be acquainted with AP Style and basic news writing skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Complete core assignment (noted above) provided by the respective department and/or functional area
Complete portfolio project, individually or group based determined by manager
Attend internship development activities as scheduled
Participate in rotating opportunities where applicable
Be enthusiastic, communicative and open to learning new things every day! BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Skills/Abilities & Knowledge
Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate solutions; ability to relate well with diverse populations
Ability to interface with internal company personnel and build relationships
Requires ability to adapt proactively and positively solve problems
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Only the best and brightest need apply. To be considered for a Spectrum Networks internship you must:
- Be in pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution and be able to provide documentation to confirm degree program
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits)
- Students must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have authorization to work in the U.S
- Must be willing to participate for a term of 8 weeks (15-20 hours weekly)
- Must agree not to miss more than three (3) days of the internship program
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends and holidays to coverbreaking news events and gain experience working for a 24 hour news channel
- Grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Majors in Broadcast Journalism, Communications, Sports Business, Marketing, Finance etc.
- Previous internship experience
- Demonstrated participation in extracurricular activities a plus