Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
-> Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders — also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
-> Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) — we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
-> Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) – in deed, not just word.
-> Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article (outdated)
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Co-ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
You will be responsible for launching new countries and upgrading existing markets for Taptap Send’s remittance network – leading the full launch cycle from early scoping and identification of opportunities through to commercial negotiation and product launch.
To achieve this you will recruit and manage a network of regional Launch managers and Launch coordinators, based in each key market. You will have deep experience of working across Africa, with knowledge of English and French, and ideally one further relevant language.
You will be willing to travel more than 50 per cent of the time, often spending multiple weeks on the road in a row. You are obsessive about product details, and can negotiate good deals that benefit our customers. You are a relentless networker, and can maintain strong relationships across multiple geographies and timezones. You’re able to set a strategic direction for Taptap Send’s development in Africa.
You are able to recruit and motivate a high-performing team, setting clear goals, and raising the bar with each new person hired.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Launch new countries for Taptap Send’s remittance network and build positive relationships with the best partners in target countries
- Be the face of Taptap Send to new and existing financial institutions and regulatory partners, leading the process from first meeting to launch
- Work cross-functionally to ensure Taptap Send has the best product offering in-market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with our partners in each country
- Continue to spot new opportunities to improve our product offering in existing markets
- Be aware of market disruptions that can present opportunities for innovative products
- Understand local FX dynamics and be able to create a network for sourcing FX
- Hold payout partners accountable for their performance, and drive continuous improvement
- Leading and building a team, and working cross-functionally within the company to achieve your goals
- Set up systems and metrics for tracking multiple complex projects across 15+ countries
- Extensively travel to markets to gain a deeper understanding
- Stay close to our customers as we develop new products and channels.
- Are passionate about our mission and eager to do what needs to be done to achieve it
- Enjoy challenges, are resourceful and think outside the box to find creative ways to tackle problems
- Love leading and building teams
- Love managing relationships across cultures and sectors
- Are cheerful about urgent work required outside work hours
- Don’t hesitate to get on the phone to promptly resolve issues or persevere to get a result
- Have great organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple time-sensitive priorities in a fast-paced startup environment where no two days are the same
- Are familiar with a number of countries in the region
- Are proficient in at least one language (two preferred) that is relevant to the region
- Have at least 8+ years of experience in managing teams and key relationships in emerging markets.
Benefits (specifics depend on geography)
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- Regular team events
- Professional development opportunities (e.g. language lessons, etc.)
- Taptap equipment (laptop, accessories)
- Work from home desk stipend
- Learning and Development budget for your professional development needs
Win with grit.
Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
Love the particular.
Create positive energy.
Maybe, even have fun.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real – any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.