In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region? You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation.
Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Environment unit team seeks a Junior Associate to work remotely for our San Francisco, CA office during the summer 2021 program period from June 28 – September 17, 2021.
During the 12-week program the JA will:
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Enhance TAF environmental program online presence through the TAF website and social media channels.
- Collect relevant information and developing marketing and outreach materials (capacity statement, project highlights, blog posts).
- Research competitor organizations involved in TAF environmental programming areas (natural resources management; disaster risk reduction and climate resilience; green growth and climate change mitigation) in the region to assist in niche specification and differentiation.
- Support high prospect donor identification and concept note/proposal development.
- Marketing and Outreach materials: The JA will produce marketing and outreach materials that will be used to provide prospective strategic partners and donors with concise and compelling information about TAF’s approaches, expertise, and key achievements in environmental programming.
- Donor analysis and prioritization: Based on the existing potential funders’ list put together by the environment team, conduct more in-depth research and analysis to evaluate relevant prospect’s funding interests, requirement, organizational alignment, and produce a high prospect donor list.
- Research and proposal development: The JA will support the team to conduct relevant research and concept/proposal writing.
TAKE-AWAY FOR THE JUNIOR ASSOCIATE:
The Junior Associate (JA) working with the Environment team will gain a deeper understanding of the most pressing environmental challenges facing in the region and contribute to TAF efforts to help address them at the national and regional levels. Specifically, the JA will work with the Environment team to strengthen the ability to communicate TAF’s unique approaches and expertise in addressing a broad range of environmental issues, through expanded program website content, online publications, development of outreach materials, and curation of TAF’s environmental project database used for developing capacity statements and other outreach materials. The JA will also support the team to identify emerging environmental trends and donor interest to propose new project ideas and interventions. Through guided instructions, the JA will deepen the knowledge of environmental programming and sharpen the skills in related research and writing.
The position for the Douglas K. Bereuter Program for Junior Associates in Asian Affairs is expected to be very competitive. We are seeking talented, high-energy individuals who will benefit from their affiliation with the Foundation and contribute to the organization as well.
CANDIDATES MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
· Received a post-graduate degree within the past two years. In addition, to be considered, a candidate must have completed and obtained this degree prior to the beginning of the program period. The summer 2021 program period is June 28, 2021 – September 17, 2021.
· Completed graduate studies in Asia-related areas: international relations, international development, public administration, public policy, law, political science, economics, women’s empowerment and/or sociology with work experience in Asia
· Authorization to legally work in the United States without sponsorship
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Great organizational skills
· Great computer skills
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate has a passion and ideally a background in environmental issues and/or communications, who can operate with a minimum of supervision but also prepared to work collaboratively as a member of a close-knit team. The candidate should have strong interpersonal/intercultural communication skills as s/he will engage with multiple teams and program offices within the Foundation and beyond.
WHY WORK AT THE ASIA FOUNDATION:
You will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development/aid sector. Address environmental problems in the region, improve access to legal information, enhance civil society, promote government engagement/collaboration, and encourage learning and awareness.
You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation, its donors, and its partners are unmatched throughout the region. This is an opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most accomplished leaders, influencers, and social entrepreneurs working in Asia today.
Please apply at: http://www.asiafoundation.org/about/careers. Please upload your cover letter and resume.
We will only consider applicants who apply on-line and provide all required documents prior to the application closing date on Friday, May 21, 2021, 5:00 PM PST. We require a resume, cover letter, an official transcript confirming the completion of your degree, and two letters of recommendation (either two academic OR one academic and one personal) In addition to being considered, please answer the assessment questions provided.
Be sure to submit your official transcript confirming the completion of your degree and two letters of recommendation submitted as either a Word or PDF document to Junior.Associates@asiafoundation.org . Please include “Recommendation letter for
[Candidate Name]” in the subject line of the recommendation letter email. You may also upload them to your online record. If you have issues uploading the documents, please contact Junior.Associates@asiafoundation.org
This position is a paid internship that offers medical, dental, and vision benefits.
**Must be legally eligible to work in the United States **
The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.