The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage you to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
Internship Program: The goal of our internship program is to provide a high-quality learning experience that helps to form the foundation for a career in the climate change or environmental movement for a diverse group of individuals seeking hands-on work experience in the field.
We offer paid internships in three cycles (spring, summer, fall) that align to typical college semesters. Each cycle runs for approximately 10-12 weeks. We ask for a 15-20 hour minimum commitment per week. Interns will be allowed to work a maximum of 30 hours per week. The internship opportunities are in a variety of programs and departments that will vary from cycle to cycle. Every Climate Reality intern is assigned a mentor who works closely with them to help navigate the organization, create overall objectives, and oversee their work plan.
While work schedules are typically flexible, all interns are required to dedicate Tuesday afternoons (1-4 PM EST) to attend meetings.
Interns will be paid $15 per hour and will be provided a Climate Reality laptop to use during their internship.
Our Washington, DC office is presently closed due to the COVID-19 health emergency. Therefore, we will accept remote interns who work/reside in the following states for the summer 2021 cycle: CA, CO, DC, FL, IL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NY, OR, PA, TN, and VA.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States. Students and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
The Climate Reality Project Engagement team works to create strategic campaigns that empower people of all ages and provide synergy throughout the organization’s various program areas to generate measurable impacts that drive towards Climate Reality’s mission.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Discovering and proposing new opportunities for engagement for Climate Reality Leaders within our campaigns
- Researching and tracking Climate Reality Leader related news
- Assisting with data collection and analysis, including creating tables and graphs in Microsoft Excel
- Conducting recognition and recruitment outreach to current and potential future Climate Reality Leaders
- Providing on-going communications via emails or phone calls
- Assisting with the production of materials for Climate Reality Leaders including social media posts, blog posts, etc.
- Working to grow our new Climate Reality Chapters program focused on local community climate action groups
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solving and experience working on a team
- An interest in environmental advocacy and solving the climate crisis
- Experience with Excel
- Experience in volunteer education and outreach
- Prior work in nonprofit advocacy, the climate movement, and/or political campaigns
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training or experience