The D. E. Shaw group is seeking motivated individuals with an impressive record of academic and/or professional achievement to join its internship program. Technologists at the firm are responsible for designing, developing, and managing the firm’s global technology infrastructure. This includes developing a wide range of technical solutions in areas including Linux and Windows management, database infrastructure, application engineering, DevOps, information security, and more. Some of the teams technologist interns might work with include Information Security, Infrastructure Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, Quant Systems, and Web Engineering.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Responsibilities may include one or more of the following: full stack web development, building automation solutions for software and hardware deployments, administration of various infrastructure-level systems, and automation and efficiency improvements for all platforms. Specific projects will be matched to a candidate’s interests and experience; recent examples include building automation for operating system upgrades, optimizing and automating large-scale infrastructure operations, enhancing our security information and event management systems, and collaborating with both technologists and employees across the firm to enhance and deploy a new intranet solution.
Who we’re looking for:
- Ideal applicants will be working toward a degree in computer science, computer engineering, or another technical discipline.
- A solid foundation in computer science—with a competence in either algorithms, software development, or systems infrastructure—is beneficial in this role. Exposure to Python is a plus.
- Practical experience in one of our focus areas (Windows, Linux/UNIX, or database management) is also a plus but is not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must, as are superb organizational and time management abilities.
- In keeping with our firm’s culture and the ever-changing nature of our work, we’re more interested in talent, curiosity, and motivation than we are in any particular skill or experience.
Interested candidates can apply through our website: https://www.deshaw.com/recruit/jobs/Oncampus/Symplicity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant, employee, or former employee on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or other category protected by law. All employment-related decisions are based solely on legitimate non-discriminatory business reasons.