Founded in 1972, The Mount Vernon School is a leading private school of inquiry, innovation, and impact. Anchored in Christian values — love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control — relationships at Mount Vernon are foundational to learning. Preparing students to be college ready, globally competitive, and engaged citizen leaders call us to lean into inclusion, diversity, equity, and action.
Creating and cultivating connections between all people, ideas, and sectors, the School welcomes all learners to wrestle with voices and perspectives that challenge our assumptions, biases, stereotypes, and privileges. Not allowing our differences to divide us requires each of us to engage in honest, vulnerable, and courageous conversations through empathy, reflection, examination, and action. Being real agents of change is a continuous journey.
Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, our trust in each other strengthens our sense of identity, autonomy, and interdependence. As a school of inquiry, innovation, and impact, we are committed to creating and sustaining a school culture where all members feel valued and safe, sharing their authentic selves to design a better world…together.
The Mount Vernon School is seeking a detail oriented, systems focused, Senior Accountant to join a dynamic team of accounting professionals. This position will be primarily responsible for the student billing process (including financial aid), will contribute to the budgeting process, and overall month-end activities. The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative solution seeker, detail oriented, have a strong accounting background, a positive attitude, adaptable to varying projects and circumstances, and a willingness for career growth.
Role & Responsibilities
- Manage monthly student billing for 900+ families
- Interact with families as main point of contact regarding billing inquiries
- Participate in the financial aid application and awards process
- Ensure Georgia GOAL Scholarship Funds are awarded and collected in a timely manner
- Responsible for analyzing and reconciling all assigned general ledger accounts. Ensure all transactions affecting these accounts are properly recorded on the general ledge and subsidiary systems
- Participate in the overall budgeting process for the school and own the process for several divisions
- Prepare and ensure the system enrollment contracts and related general ledger transactions are properly set up for enrollment each year, including reconciliation of student enrollment and tracking enrollment statuses
- Proactively engage with Technical Account Manager for School Information System regarding latest trainings and system updates to communicate system and process improvements to the Finance and Accounting team
- Work closely with independent auditors during annual financial statement audit with preparing schedules and invoices, providing explanations of supporting materials and procedures, and preparing any other necessary schedules or documentation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance; Master’s Degree preferred
- Public or private accounting experience required
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Required
- Customer-service centric
- Ability to identify and proactively solve problems
- Strong analytical capabilities, outstanding organizational skills, great initiative, and interpersonal skills
- Able to work collaboratively on a team, but also take initiative to work on projects independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive in identifying efficient processes within the Finance & Accounting office including meeting needs of internal and external customers
- Proficient with Excel and Google Sheets and comfortable navigating new systems
The faculty and staff of The Mount Vernon School believe the fair and equitable treatment of employees is critical to fulfilling its mission and purpose. It is the policy of The Mount Vernon School to conduct business and provide equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.