The Work First Foundation is seeking applicants to join the 2020-2021 Work First Fellowship cohort in New York City, NY and San Francisco, CA for an immediate or ASAP start date. Ideal candidates will have a strong academic background, volunteer or service experience, research experience, an interest in working with disadvantaged and low-income populations, and a passion for fighting poverty through workforce development.
COVID-19 Note: Due to public health concerns, a majority of Work First programs and services are currently being offered remotely, with some programs operating on a hybrid remote/in-person model.
The Work First Fellowship is a year-long service program geared towards young professionals interested in workforce development, public policy, and education. Work First Fellows help low-income and marginalized individuals achieve sustainable employment and economic self-sufficiency by providing case management services, facilitating job readiness trainings, designing new curriculum, and providing job search support through resume reviews and mock interviews. In addition, all fellows complete an independent policy research project.
The Work First Fellowship is offered in partnership with America Works, an employment agency that serves low-income and underserved communities, including public assistance recipients, veterans, people experiencing homelessness, people with disabilities, and justice-involved individuals. Work First Fellows are placed in America Works offices across the country. Day-to-day responsibilities vary by site and can include teaching, case management, and non-profit administration. Fellows conduct year-long independent research projects on topics related to workforce development, employment, and public policy with guidance from the Work First Foundation and advisors. At the end of the fellowship, Work First Fellows are given the opportunity to present their research findings to policy experts, business leaders, and workforce development stakeholders at the annual Research Symposium.
During their year of direct service, Work First Fellows gain on-the-ground experience working with underserved and marginalized populations, insight into how public policy is implemented on a local level, and a firsthand perspective of policy impacts real people.
Fellowship End Date: July 5th, 2021
- Bachelor’s Degree (Graduation date in May-June 2021 permitted)
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Capable of providing confidential support to clients with sensitive cases
- Capable of facilitating workshops/trainings to adults and adolescents in a classroom setting
- Work full-time in one of the America Works offices
- Perform case management duties for America Works Clients
- Assist America Works clients with job placement and retention
- Provide job readiness services such as resume reviews and interview preparation
- Facilitate workshops on a variety of job readiness and education topics
- Design curriculum on a variety of job readiness topics
- Attend policy discussions and professional development events
- Conduct a year-long policy research project on a topic of workforce development, poverty, or unemployment
- Write a report and present findings based on research done throughout the year
*Responsibilities vary by site
- New York City (Staten Island, The Bronx)
- San Francisco, CA
*Includes locations currently recruiting for
- $40,000 yearly salary
- 10 Vacation Days, 5 Sick Days
- 2 Personal Days
- 9 Company Holidays
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits
- Optional Health Care Coverage
- An additional $5,000 award is available to Fellows upon successful completion of the Research Requirement of the Fellowship
To apply, please fill out the online application at the Work First website: https://www.theworkfirstfoundation.org/2020-2021-fellowship-application.
If you have any questions, please direct them to the recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org