This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Electron and ion sample interactions are at the heart of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), and DualBeam tools serving the Semiconductor, Life Science and Materials Science markets.
This Advanced Technology Sr Intern Scientist position provides an opportunity for science students who are currently pursuing or have recently graduated from a science, engineering, computing or mathematics-based masters’ degree, to get hands on experience working with scientists doing research in a fast-paced industrial setting. The intern will contribute to development projects and advance scientific knowledge, contributing as an integral part of the team, and will be mentored by scientists and engineers. The position starts in January, paid working 40 hours per week through December.
This position is located at our Hillsboro, OR site.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE AN IMPACT
- Work under the supervision and mentoring of Scientists and Engineers to develop beam chemistry solutions for electron and ion microscopy.
- Execute tasks in a lab environment using equipment as directed by Scientists. Conduct literature research and replicate published experiments in a lab environment. Analyze data and produce scientific reports.
- Learn about research in an industrial setting through daily activities.
- Depending on the candidate and the needs of the program, other activities may include performing numerical simulations, developing instrument control software, maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment.
HOW WILL YOU GET THERE?
- This is a hands-on lab role requiring chemistry knowledge and good lab skills.
- MS degree in Science (Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Engineering/Mathematics) or equivalent, or be currently enrolled in an MS degree program, or combination of education and experience that demonstrate the required skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Scientific programming ability is desired.
- Good written, verbal and presentation skills to report results. Good collaboration and networking skills.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.