In the Attorney Editor role, you will provide legal interpretation in the form of research, analysis, writing, and classification to support the development and maintenance of Thomson Reuters Legal information in all media. Editors are also tasked with ensuring that published legal information contains and delivers premium legal content.
Cases Editorial: Attorney Editors read, analyze, and interpret judicial opinions to create premium enhancements to the caselaw that is provided to our customers through Thomson Reuters Westlaw and various print publications, including the National Reporter System and the American Digest System. These enhancements include headnotes, which are summaries of specific points of law as set forth by the courts. Strong analytical and writing skills, as well as the ability to work independently, are necessary to maintain our world-class judicial content.
We are currently hiring Attorney Editors in our Eagan, MN (MSP) and Carrollton, TX (Dallas) strategic office locations and their respective surrounding areas. These positions allow for flexible working arrangements.
About the Role
In this opportunity as Attorney Editor, you will:
- Create legal information in the form of headnotes, highlights, and other features and enhancements. They also identify key legal issues in editorial materials while demonstrating competence in Westlaw navigation and online research tools
- Classify key attributes of a case to a proprietary hierarchy. They also manage and maintain the hierarchies
- Adhere to editorial publishing schedules and quality standards, as well as, verify your own work and that of other staff as required for accuracy and completeness to ensure that the information is properly presented and organized
- Maintain and develop legal knowledge and skills training as needed to complete your work and to stay current on legal trends and developments that are related to your editorial responsibilities
- Attend and participate in meetings and take part in the employee evaluation process
- Develop knowledge of Thomson Reuters Legal publications and products related to your responsibilities, and those of competitors
- Demonstrate competence on company-specific systems necessary to perform your job functions.
You’re a fit for the role of Attorney Editor if you:
- J.D. degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school (Required)
- Self-starter with aptitude for legal research and writing.
- Analytical thinker who uses logic and collaborates to solve difficult problems.
- Decisive with a focus on making quality decisions quickly.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, organize, and communicate complex legal material.
- Proficient with word processing and online applications.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects and pursue them with energy and drive.
- Great teammate who will work successfully in a shared environment.
- Strong communicator who can speak and write clearly and effectively with all contacts, both in and outside Thomson Reuters.
What’s in it For You?
At Thomson Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
Our Culture: You will have the opportunity to work for a company that has a market dominant position and is passionate about giving back to the community
Learning & Development: You will be joining a team that has the commitment of the company to prioritize growth and has made investments to expand our capabilities. This includes paid CLE time for Attorney Editors
Benefits: Extraordinary benefits package including health benefits, savings/investment plans, paid time off, and bar dues reimbursement
Social Impact: Global volunteer network, organized virtual volunteer events, 2 paid volunteer workdays a year, company matching for personal charitable giving and fundraising
Compensation: Base salary, a $5000 sign-on bonus, and a variable compensation that is directly related to your success.