The Times Square Alliance is seeking a highly-motivated individual interested in the growth and evolution of cities, urban policy, neighborhood development and local area management, to help us manage, evaluate and advocate for Times Square, with the goal of making a multi-use district that is home to some of the world’s most famous theaters, companies and venues, continue to work and thrive for everyone.
The Times Square Alliance’s Economic Development & Policy department has planned and executed some of the most prominent placemaking and capital development initiatives in New York City, including the reconstruction of Father Duffy Square and the Broadway pedestrian plazas. The team has built one of the most comprehensive urban research and data analysis programs and uses that research to develop and advocate for innovative urban economic development and management policies that are informed by evidence and challenge accepted norms and practices. The department has also been involved with an array of advocacy efforts that have resulted in innovative pedestrian and traffic improvements and newer and more appropriate regulation of the public realm.
The Policy & Research Analyst will work closely not only with the Economic Development & Policy team, but also with the Communications, Arts & Culture, and Programming departments on projects relating to external affairs, policy development, plaza programming, communications, and business relations. The Analyst will help collect and analyze an array of data, develop innovate ways of expressing quantitative and qualitative information, represent the Alliance at relevant meetings and public hearings on issues related to our policy agenda. This position reports to the Manager of Policy & Research and the Manager of External Affairs.
The Policy & Research Analyst is an integral part of the Alliance’s central staff and crucial to the seamless coordination of our policy and research portfolios across departments.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for regularly collecting and analyzing an array of economic and quality of life data.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and data visualizations on the above data for Board of Director meetings, newsletters, media requests, and other Alliance projects.
- Support Economic Development & Policy team on planning, administering, and analyzing research studies related to the neighborhood economy, tourism, stakeholder attitudes, transportation and other policy issues.
- Support Manager of Policy & Research with managing and maintaining the Economic Development & Policy Department’s real estate and information databases (Salesforce, Costar, Compstak, Springboard, Visa, Qualtrics).
- Perform ad hoc data analysis and prepare reports as needed.
- Generate and maintain maps of place specific data such as pedestrian counts, new retail businesses, and development data.
- Work with the Manager of Policy & Research to make strategic improvements to data tracking, reporting, and presentation.
- Support Manager of External Affairs with preparing testimony, drafting advocacy documents, and newsletters.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Detail orientation and deadline sensitivity
- Ability to work as a team across departments
- Excellent communications skills
- Must be very comfortable with quantitative research and data analysis
- Experience with database management a plus
- Fluency in Microsoft Excel required
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator/Indesign a plus but not required
- Proficiency in data analysis and visualization software (R, Python, SQL, Tableau) a plus but not required
- Preference for candidates who demonstrate a strong interest in public policy, planning, and urban affairs
- Ability to work full-time (40 hours/week) in-person or hybrid required
Candidates must provide a cover letter along with their resume.
The Times Square Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer