Y ANALYTICS – POSITION AND CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
TITLE: ASSOCIATE, ESG PERFORMANCE & IMPACT
Location: Washington, D.C. or San Francisco, C.A.
Application Instructions: In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare a 1-page response to the prompt below. Please send your resume and response to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – ESG Associate Application”.
Application Prompt: Imagine you are assessing the ESG (environmental, social & governance) performance for a pharmaceutical company. Please describe:
(1) how you would conduct an initial market scan to “get smart” on the pharmaceutical space;
(2) how you would determine what ESG-related factors are relevant to the company and industry; and
(3) how you would assess the company’s current risk exposure and performance against these ESG factors, including what sources and data you would use.
Please limit your response to a single page or less.
ABOUT Y ANALYTICS
Y Analytics’ mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN SDGs, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital.
Y Analytics was launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment and management draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, enabling greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and impact valuation. Our Impact Solutions Team serves The Rise Fund platform ($4 billion under management) and has also worked with other types of capital and capital allocators (e.g., private equity, catalytic capital, corporations).
Y Analytics is also responsible for the sustainability/ESG mandate across TPG. Our ESG Performance Team engages with portfolio companies, platforms and LPs to understand and mitigate financially-material ESG risks, and to create measurable value through ESG performance improvement.
As we continue to grow, we are leveraging our capabilities in new and innovative ways and sharing our learnings with the broader investment and research communities.
The Associate will support Y Analytics’ ESG and impact assessments, data analysis and content development. Their primary responsibilities will include:
• Conducting ESG- and impact-related diligence of potential investments and portfolio companies, across TPG investment platforms. ESG/impact assessments are integral to TPG’s investment and portfolio management processes. This work requires a combination of desk research and data analysis to assess the risk, performance, and impact of a company through an environmental, social and governance lens. An inquisitive mindset, self-direction, and pragmatic client service orientation are assets given the rigor and turnaround times of private equity deal flow.
• Analyzing impact, operational, and financial data to baseline, benchmark, and enhance performance across the TPG portfolio. The Associate will be key to generating insights on portfolio companies’ ESG and impact performance, along with risks/mitigations and performance improvement opportunities.
• Other research and content development as needed. The Associate will play a cross-functional role and will help support the team as we continue to grow. Additional responsibilities may include: partnering with a specific portfolio company to design and implement their ESG performance improvement strategy; developing thought leadership or other external-facing content around areas of firm expertise; interrogating academic research to help quantify a company’s impact potential; or conducting deep dives and analysis related to a particular impact sector or research theme.
• 1 to 3 years of full-time work experience. Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of experience in consulting, financial services, research and analytics, or ESG/impact focused professional services. International experience, including exposure to developing countries, is a plus
• Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
• Strong sense of ownership and self-direction: must be able to drive work forward independently, self-guide research and lines of inquiry for diligence efforts, and deliver high quality, highly polished outputs
• Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to synthesize findings from research and data analysis in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to senior leaders
• Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to quickly and accurately analyze company and third-party data and generate practical insights
• Highly collaborative: must be a strong team player who is effective in a teamwork-heavy, cross-functional environment
• Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Other Desirable Characteristics
• Positive and solutions-oriented attitude, with a drive for excellence
• Entrepreneurial nature; should be comfortable taking initiative to build beyond what is called for in a narrow action plan
• Commitment to fairness, ethical behavior, and listening to / valuing others’ opinions
• Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences; values diversity and its importance to an organization’s performance
• Sense of humility and humor