· Support casework of Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs) in the Appeals Division primarily by cite- and fact-checking, proofreading, and performing legal and other research for federal appellate briefs for submission to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
· Process daily mail and electronic computer filing (ECF) notices/filings in Outlook Appeals folder (and, where appropriate, notify Chief of Appeals and assigned AUSA); add reviewer’s name to docket; and keep attorneys notified of upcoming court dates
· Interact with AUSAs and/or support staff in various sections throughout the Criminal Division (Business and Securities Fraud, International Narcotics and Money-Laundering, National Security and Cybercrime, Organized Crime and Gangs, Civil Rights, General Crimes and Public Integrity) in preparation of appellate materials
· Interact with federal court reporters and representatives of other federal agencies (e.g., U.S. Probation Department) to obtain documents needed for brief composition
· Assist with the electronic filing of briefs and other documents in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
· Attend, as interested and time permits, moot court sessions conducted by Appeals AUSAs and oral arguments before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
· Attend, as interested and time permits, summer intern brown-bag lunches and training sessions for Criminal Division AUSAs, as well as trials and other proceedings in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
· Send petitions of certiorari and other correspondence to the Office of Solicitor General at U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in Washington DC
· Send filed briefs to Briefbank at DOJ in Washington DC
· Order closed files from Archives and send files back when no longer needed
APPEALS DIVISION, U.S. ATTORNEY’S OFFICE FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
The United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York covers the jurisdictions of Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island. The Appeals Division, located in downtown Brooklyn, is responsible for overseeing the handling of appeals in criminal cases originating in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. The Division currently consists of six AUSAs who draft and edit briefs, as well as prepare AUSAs for oral arguments. The Appeals Division also assists in the preparation of responses to post-appeal collateral attacks on convictions. In addition, the Appeals Division is actively involved in determining whether to file government appeals, reviewing and editing district court filings on significant points of law, providing legal advice generally to Criminal Division AUSAs, and participating in the formulation of Office policy.
Applicants should send their resumes by email to Assistant U.S. Attorney Susan Corkery at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.