Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Center Director
Under the general supervision of the bookkeeper, the Bookkeeper of a day care center performs the specific functions listed below. In addition, the Bookkeeper is expected to accept training in all bookkeeping functions related to the center’s operations.
• Greets all staff, families, and guests at the center. Ensures that all guests and consultants sign into appropriate logs.
• Answer and direct all incoming phone calls for the center; take and relay messages when appropriate.
• Manage petty cash accounts.
• Prepare employee timecards in ADP Workforce Now for approval by Center Director.
• Prepare child care center’s CACFP reports.
• Complete forms in accordance with agency procedures.
• Manage payment of WES.
• Maintain children’s attendance records in the WES and ChildPlus System.
• Prepare children’s attendance reports.
• Open, read, route, and distribute incoming mail and other material, and prepare answers to routine letters.
• Set up and maintain paper and electronic filing systems for records, correspondence, and other material.
• Answer and direct all incoming calls for Center Director; take and relay messages when needed.
• General administrative duties including but not limited to answering the phone, taking messages, filing, photocopying, ordering and tracking office supplies, maintaining the copy/fax machine, overseeing internal and external mail distribution.
• Learn to operate new office technologies as they are developed and implemented.
• Submits invoices, reports and receipts to Finance Department.
• Enters invoices and payment coding into the Windscape/DocLink system.
• Operate electronic mail systems and coordinate the flow of information internally.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Center Director, the Deputy Director of Early Childhood Education, or the Director of Early Childhood Education.
• High School Diploma or HSE and two years bookkeeping experience; Associate’s Degree or higher in accounting or successful completion of bookkeeping or accounting course preferred.
• Demonstrated experience in payroll, invoice, billing or other bookkeeping positions preferred.
• Demonstrated computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Successful Department of Investigation and State Central Registry clearances required.
• A dedicated work ethic.
• Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
• Good computer skills and writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents in the East Harlem community.
Please include Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and 3 References.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER