Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East
Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Director of Youth Services
Department: Youth Services
Reports to: Executive Director and Associate Executive Director
Salary: $95,000 – $105,000
The Director of Youth Services is responsible for overseeing and managing all Union Settlement programming for youth and young adults ages 5 to 24. These programs include youth after-school and summer programs, college readiness, disconnected youth programs, volunteer and mentorship programs, East
Harlem Youth Opportunity Hub program, and others. The Director must have significant experience working with youth and young adults, and must be a strong, hands-on manager with the ability to manage a large and diverse program. The Director oversees a staff of approximately 100 full-time and part-time employees who work from over a dozen separate locations, including New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) community centers and local public schools. The Director is a member of the agency’s senior management team and serves as a strategic partner in planning and implementing the future vision for the agency.
• Oversee and direct the day-to-day operations of the Youth Services program.
• Ensure that the agency’s Youth Services programs meet the educational and social-emotional needs of youth participants.
• Review and evaluate the delivery of services on an on-going basis.
• Supervise and coordinate the efforts of the Youth Services program staff in implementing program components and maintaining program quality.
• Ensure all statutory and regulatory requirements are met and all required licenses are up to date.
• Ensure all funding agency policies and procedures, as well as Union Settlement policies and procedures, are enforced and followed.
• Collaborate with the Finance Department to maintain sound financial management over the Youth Services program budgets, including assisting program and site managers in managing their individual program budgets.
• Collaborate with the Human Resources Department to evaluate staff performance, identify areas of needed training and facilitate such training.
• Define, measure, and evaluate program performance data, and create a continuous program improvement plan based on that data.
• Maintain open dialogue and communication with participants’ parents and address parent concerns as they arise.
• Ensure student records and files are maintained.
• Collaborate with the Development Department and Finance Department in identifying additional funding sources, responding to requests for proposals, and ensuring that reports to funding agency are submitted on time.
• Define, measure, and evaluate performance data.
• Create continuous improvement plans based on performance data.
• Provide oversight and support to all programs and services at Washington Houses Community Center.
• Represent the agency in meetings with outside organizations, including government agencies, private foundations, other nonprofit organizations, local businesses, local community groups, and others.
• Oversee participation by the Youth Services program in the planning and implementation of Union Settlement events, including Staff Recognition, Ethnic Festival and other agency initiatives.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Education, School Counseling, Youth Development or related field.
• Significant experience working with youth (including at-risk youth) ages 5 to 24.
• Ten years’ supervisory experience preferred, with at least three years as a senior manager, ideally including successful experience overseeing DYCD-funded contracts.
• Knowledge of NYC laws, regulation, policies and systems governing youth services, including DYCD and DOHMH regulations, as well as experience using the DYCD Online/Connect and Capricorn systems.
• Excellent organizational, analytical, financial management and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated computer skills, including significant experience using Excel.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing youth in an urban setting, ideally including an understanding of the needs of youth and families in East Harlem.
• Ability to listen to and address concerns of youth and parents with care and compassion.
• Unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
• A dedicated work ethic.
• Successful background, criminal record, fingerprinting and reference check required.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate “Director of Youth Services” in the email subject line.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER