Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Group Teacher – Child Care Center (Substitute)
Department: Child Care
Reports to: Center Director (Educational)
Salary: $17 – $25 per hour
The Group Teacher will plan and execute the Creative Curriculum to provide education and care for the children assigned to a classroom. The Creative Curriculum will take into account the educational, social, developmental, and health needs of each child, and the group as a whole.
• Develop and lead a program of sound educational goals appropriate to the age and developmental level of children to enable them to make the most of future educational opportunities.
• Create and execute weekly lesson plans in accordance with the approved agency curriculum.
• Keep equipment and material accessible and in good condition to encourage maximum constructive use by the children.
• Remove and/or report any damaged or hazardous equipment to the Educational/Site Director or designated individual so necessary action may be taken.
• Plan appropriate arrangement of classroom furniture designed to promote optimal program functioning.
• Collaborate in the overall planning for the best use of shared space for center programming.
• Identify and utilize community resources to enrich the educational content of the children’s program.
• Maintain good working relationships and objective attitudes with classroom staff.
• Participate in regular group conferences with classroom staff.
• Expand professional growth and development through participation in individual and classroom group conferences and related training opportunities.
• Adhere to the plan for classroom staff to inform and share information regarding the program and children with parents.
• Attend and participate in group parent meetings.
• Ensure confidentiality of all information regarding children and parents.
• Participate in regularly scheduled supervision meetings with Educational/Site Director. Discuss professional performance objectively and utilize supervision as a source of information and professional guidance.
• Update and maintain all records as are required and necessary for the effective administration of the center and the development of the program. Share records and work with appropriate classroom and center staff.
• Perform routine duties in the classroom and center related to all functions of the program.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Educational/Site Director and the Director of Early Childhood Education.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Education or Elementary Education with New York State Teacher Certification in B-2 required. Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education a plus.
• Two years’ experience working with pre-school age children preferred.
• Knowledge of Head Start performance standards a plus.
Please include Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER