Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Human Resources Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Manager will serve as a strategic partner in the Union Settlement’s overall leadership planning and future growth strategy. This position will provide hands-on experience, skills development, and set career pathway for future Director role.
As a people ops leader and key member of the HR and Leadership Teams, they will deliver high-impact initiatives, design programs, and develop processes across of myriad of strategic HR functions focused on employee relations, learning and development, performance management, engagement and retention, strategic initiatives, and compliance. They will foster relationships with department leadership and provide counsel and guidance on issues relevant to employee and department goals and objectives; guide and support efforts to increase employee and participant satisfaction, as well as the overall strength of the workplace. Initiatives may include works with new products and services, evolving growth strategies, and innovative technology. The Human Resources Manager will also manage a team of direct reports to include interns.
- Partners with senior leaders to identify, prioritize, and implement key initiatives that drive org-wide efforts to deliver best-in-class employee experience.
- Provides generalist support with limited direction from HR leadership; implements, interprets, communicates and, where appropriate, recommends HR policies and procedures for implementation.
- Collaborates with leaders to grow diverse leadership, talent, and technical capability pipeline; infuses orientation and onboarding activities.
- Provides consultation to department heads regarding HR and business issues from a strategic standpoint to include coaching on effectively leading their teams, navigating and resolving employee relations issues; makes recommendations for dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, and litigation avoidance.
- Reviews and analyzes HR systems, develops insights and custom data analysis, and compiles team metrics including data on demographics, talent acquisition, benefits, retention, performance, employee experience, etc.
- Works collaboratively with HR team in process development and analysis; oversees (2-4) direct reports to include interns as assigned.
- Evaluates, builds, and maintains a wide variety of HR related strategic initiatives.
- Interprets, educates and provides support and counsel on policies; ensures fair and consistent application of policies, procedures, and laws.
- Works with supervisors to troubleshoot and isolate performance gaps, selects appropriate interventions, and provides guidance on employee development plans, performance improvement plans (PIPs), and career pathways.
- Researches, develops, and makes ongoing recommendations for a sustainable engagement, rewards and recognition program.
- Supports strategies to enable the organization to thrive through periods of change, e.g. internal growth, restructurings, leadership acceleration.
- Completes state and compliance related reports, surveys, questionnaires and relevant documentation (EEO Data, OSHA, Workforce Survey, Demographic Data, Disability Certificates, invoicing, etc.).
- Establishes partnerships and alliances with institutions/vendors to broaden HR’s reach; advances strategic initiatives for organizational effectiveness.
- Advances Union Settlement’s work in diversity, equity and inclusion and actively engages employees and community in internal and external initiatives.
- Works with internal and external subject matter experts to assess, develop, deliver, and facilitate training activities/programs; supports development of scalable learning and development function.
- Provides back-up support functions in any of key HR and Payroll areas as necessary.
- Participate on committees, perform special projects, and other duties based on organizational needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or Organizational Development or equivalent. Master’s degree and/or HR professional certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) preferred; combination of education and experience considered.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive HR experience with specialization in Change Management, Organizational Development or Talent Strategies desired.
- Knowledge of human resources law, best practices, and reporting capabilities.
- Expertise in policy design, recruitment, benefits, compensation, compliance, employee relations, analytics, and Human Resources (HR) data management; expertise in two (2) or more areas desired.
- Demonstrated experience leading significant outcomes-based, change processes effectively and efficiently, both in the short-term and long-term.
- Employee relations and resolution experience with ability to build credibility and be sought as a trusted advisor; union experience a plus.
- Ability to set direction, develop and lead learning while advancing strategies that improve user adoption and manage end user expectations.
- Ability to handle matters of confidentiality with utmost tact and diplomacy; ethical decision making.
- Experience and knowledge with change management principles, methodologies and tools.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Excel, Word and PowerPoint, ATS/HRIS – ADP Workforce Now, and training platforms.
- High energy, excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Analytical ability to gather and summarize data from reports, and make recommendations on findings.
- Strong project management and supervisory experience required; displays the ability to manage strategic operations and partner collaboratively.
Please apply with cover letter, resume, two (2) writing samples, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three (3) professional references. Submissions without salary requirements will not be considered.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER