Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Middle School College Prep Counselor
Department: Youth Services – College Readiness Program
Reports to: Director of Youth Services
Hours: Full-Time, including some Saturdays as needed.
• Recruit participants and facilitate intake.
• Prepare lesson plans for the purpose of providing weekly age and stage appropriate college readiness workshops at partner school sites.
• Work with Middle School Program Director at the four partner schools to implement tutoring for middle school students.
• Design age and stage appropriate college success activities for middle school students.
• Coordinate and manage Specialized High School Test Prep.
• Assist partner schools with the High School Application process.
• Provide workshops to parents as needed.
• Schedule and conduct visits to High Schools.
• Facilitate leadership and community service activities for middle school students.
• Plan college trips for middle school students and College Connections program with Drew University.
• Maintain program calendar, and create flyers and announcements.
• Create and facilitate youth development events, meetings, and activities for participants.
• Participate on at least one Youth Services programmatic committee.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Youth Services and Associate Executive Director of Early Childhood and Youth Programs.
• Bachelor’s Degree and a background in education, counseling, media, music, theater, or technology, with 2 years experience working in the area of youth development and workshop presentations preferred. At minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in human services or a related field and 2 years experience working with youth ages 12 and older.
• Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and make connections with young people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Demonstrated creativity in developing and implementing leadership and college prep workshops.
• Strong math and/or science skills, public speaking, computer, writing, and organizational skills.
• Willingness to learn all aspects of college admissions, financial aid, and scholarship process.
• Ability to market program, develop community partnerships, and provide innovative programming.
• Ability to work one or two Saturdays per month, as needed.
• Candidates must complete successful background, criminal records, fingerprinting, and reference checks.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/French) a plus.
Please include cover letter, resume, three professional references, and salary requirements.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER