Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Summer Activity Specialist (Seasonal)
Department: Youth Services
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: 9 hours per week
Rate: $20 – $25 per hour
The Activity Specialist will be responsible for curriculum development, activity facilitation, and classroom management in organized sports, performing arts (theater, dance, spoken word etc.), STEM, photography/media/graphic design, visual/creative arts or leadership. We also seek to provide our participants with many of the services to which they would otherwise not have access: computer classes, specialized high school prep, arts enrichment, tutoring, consistent physical education and recreation, and one-on-one mentorship and guidance.
• Plan and implement weekly lesson plans related to organized sports, performing arts (theater, dance, spoken word etc.) STEM, photography/media/graphic design, visual/creative arts or leadership afterschool participants.
• Assist with dismissal and escort students outside of building and across the street to a safe location.
• Create a workshop environment conducive for learning and mastery.
• Lead project-based activities and prepare participants for quarterly presentation, showcases, and performances.
• Produce mandated program reports based on participant’s achievements as requested.
• Contact parents/guardians weekly with positive inspirations, and log all calls in Google drive.
• Work cooperatively with all staff, community-based organizations, students, and parents.
• Meet with Program Director during bi-weekly one to one and submit agenda for meeting three days prior to supervision.
• Participate in special events, staff meetings, USA program committee, monthly Youth Services Department meetings, and all school trips/afterschool events.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Site Supervisor, Middle School Program Director, Assistant Director of Youth Services, Associate Director of After-School Programming and Director of Youth Services.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field preferred; at minimum three years’ experience working in a youth services program.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Ability to tutor any middle school participant in at least one subject area. Strong verbal, written, clerical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• The ability to perform at a high level.
• Dedication to serving youth in an urban setting. Innovation and patience.
• Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing youth in an urban setting.
Please include Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER