Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Summer Classroom Aide (Seasonal)
Department: Youth Services
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: 35 hours per week
Rate: $15 per hour
The Classroom Aide will assist in curriculum development, activity facilitation, and classroom management. We seek to provide our participants with many of the services to which they would otherwise not have access: computer classes, specialized high school prep, arts enrichment, tutoring, consistent physical education and recreation, and one-on-one mentorship and guidance.
• Prepare classroom and program spaces for activities.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of weekly lesson plans related to social, educational, and recreational theme-based activities.
• Assist Group Leaders in workshops for the program in at least one of the following disciplines: sports, technology, leadership, performing arts, prevention, visual arts, dance and STEM.
• Assist Group Leader with project-based activities and prepare participants for quarterly presentation, showcases, and performances.
• Take daily attendance.
• Distribute breakfast, lunch, and snack daily to participants.
• Attend and escort youth on trips.
• Assist in classroom management and behavior modification.
• Provide technical support to all staff, such as assistance with archiving, copying, typing, filing, and organizing paperwork.
• Run errands to support program needs.
• Participate in special events and staff meetings.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Program Director, Assistant Director of Youth Services, Associate Director of After-School Programming and Director of Youth Services.
• 24 college credits in Education or related field; at minimum a high school diploma or GED and two years’ experience working in a youth services program.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Strong oral, written and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• The ability to perform at a high level.
• Dedication to serving youth in an urban setting.
• Innovation and patience.
• Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing youth in an urban setting
Please include Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER