Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: SYEP Program Director
Department: Youth Services
Reports to: Director of Workforce Development
Salary: $50,000 – $52,500
The SYEP Program Director is responsible for overseeing the School Based-Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) within Youth Services at Union Settlement. Oversight includes the management of 200 High School participants SYEP program, connecting participants with career exploration opportunities and paid work experiences throughout the summer months. Participants will range from 14-18 years of age. Responsibilities also include developing job placements, maintaining a job bank with potential placements in priority sectors of work and tracking program participants throughout their summer placement experience. The Director will assess participants’ job skills, abilities and interests, and match participants with appropriate positions. The Director will also be responsible for managing, tracking, and reporting employment data on a regular basis. This position manages an Education Specialist, Job developer, Work Readiness Facilitator and Part-Time seasonal staff.
● Build relationships with participants in order to construct bridges to identifying career options.
● Develop relationships with employers and organizations in East Harlem and neighboring areas with ongoing staffing needs through networking, cold calling, face to face meetings with potential employers, and other business development efforts.
● Design and facilitate employment workshops related to the labor market, resume writing and interview skills.
● Develop placement assignments consistent with the training program and skills of participants.
● Document placement outcomes and milestones in accordance to DYCD.
● Create a fun, thought provoking program environment developed around a strength-based learning approach grounded in youth development principles.
● Attend external meetings, conferences, workshops, and other networking opportunities to promote agency visibility.
● Maintain participant files and case notes.
● Conduct ongoing market research to determine areas of high employer demand.
● Attend and participate in scheduled Platform, Leadership and Youth Services staff meetings.
● Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Youth Services.
● Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
● Demonstrated employment counseling or job development experience required.
● Demonstrated experience in working high school youth.
● Knowledge of job development strategies required.
● Knowledge of labor market trends in a range of occupational fields (professional, skilled, semi-skilled, and industrial).
● Ability to outreach, network, and market participants and program.
● Ability to motivate participants toward full-time employment.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills.
● Excellent computer skills.
● Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
● Familiarity with the East Harlem community preferred, but not required.
● Demonstrated understanding of the employment challenges facing minority youth in underserved communities.
● Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, References, and Salary Requirements to:
Please indicate SYEP Program Director in the subject of email.